F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bought a crashed 02 CBR600F4i, best place for replacement parts and tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a crashed 02 CBR600F4i, best place for replacement parts and tips?

Hey guys.
I am new to motorcycles but I've always had a passion for them, just never had the chance to buy one.
I found a place that sells salvaged bikes and they had this 02 CBR600 F4i for $2k with a cracked front fairing and bent forks. The lip on the front wheel also has a small bent on it. After some negotiation over a week long period I managed to get the bike for $1500 out the door, so $1380 before taxes. They also have used parts and will sell me a good set of front forks for $200. The wheel can be easily straightened at a local shop for $50 and they also check the rotors.
The only other things I would need to get this bike to perfect condition is the front fairing and a new headlight since one half is broken and the front fairing is a small piece missing from it so I can't really plastic weld it, unless I fiberglass and bondo it.

Anyways, this is the story of what I have. I think it's a decent bike to get started with and chances are I will drop it once or twice at first so might as well be with a bike that is not worth crying over .
The engine sounds excellent. It has an aftermarket exhaust but I don't remember the brand. It has aftermarket shifter and the rear brake lever is aftermarket. It also had a steering dampener installed but I opted not to take it as they reduced the price by $300 for it. I know they are $450 but used they sell for $200 and I don't think I will need it for a while, especially not on my very first bike.

Back to the topic. What's a good place for decently priced parts, new and/or used? I am a big fan of forum classifieds so that's the first place I check but are there websites that sell parts for less than half the value of the book for a fairing?

I am used to working on German cars, which are known for being very expensive to maintain, but I get the feeling that some plastics for these bikes cost as much as a turbocharger for these cars . Just to give you an idea, my daily driver is a 574hp Audi S4 that I build from top to bottom. I am good with tools, I can tig weld and have my own tig welder. I am not afraid to work on the bike, I just want to know where to get parts from. There are always better sites than others. I am looking for advices.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 AM

fairings for these bikes arn`t overly expensive im in australia and paid $650 painted and delivered for a full kit, pretty sure there a little cheaper in the states, tho our dollar value is pretty close to yours. just search the net and ebay there heaps of places to source them from.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my detailed review for cbrfairings.com:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...review-129045/

Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks guys.
The unfortunate thing is that fairings are always sold in sets, at least where I have seen them, and I only need the front cowl that surrounds the headlight. I don't need the side or rear fairings. If I go through bikebandits they have only the front cowl but they are asking over $500 for it alone. I wish a place like cbrfairings sold only individual pieces.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Any place that sells only individual pieces and not the whole set of fairings? I only need the front cowl and a headlight. No point of spending $600 for a whole set.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM

i just bought a front fairing, headlight, headlight harness, and turn signals on ebay for 300.

i also saw a couple of oem headlights on there. oem headlights w/ the harness and bulbs seem to be around 200-250 on ebay

02 Honda CBR600 F4i F-4i F 4i Headlight w/ Subharness | eBay

Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 AM

Headlights are indeed easy to find. I made an offer on one and I am waiting to hear from the seller. It's full of Chinese headlights for these bikes but I have the feeling the beam pattern will be extremely bad and I don't want to blind other people coming towards me.
As for the fairings, I just can't find individual pieces on ebay no matter how much I look. It's full of Chinese sets from Hong Kong for $600+ shipped but again, I only need the front cowl. I just can't believe how expensive these plastics are. I guess I will just regularly check the classifieds on different forums and hopefully someone will part out one of these bikes soon .

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twinturboaddict
Headlights are indeed easy to find. I made an offer on one and I am waiting to hear from the seller. It's full of Chinese headlights for these bikes but I have the feeling the beam pattern will be extremely bad and I don't want to blind other people coming towards me.
As for the fairings, I just can't find individual pieces on ebay no matter how much I look. It's full of Chinese sets from Hong Kong for $600+ shipped but again, I only need the front cowl. I just can't believe how expensive these plastics are. I guess I will just regularly check the classifieds on different forums and hopefully someone will part out one of these bikes soon .
I would email cbrfairings.com and ask them if they can sell just the one piece?
They have great customer service and they will probably be able to help you out.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

delkavic is compant you should look into

Quick Reply: Bought a crashed 02 CBR600F4i, best place for replacement parts and tips?