F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bloody bike wont lock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bloody bike wont lock.

God I hate being ignorant, but I just realized that my motorbike wont lock with the wheel turned full left angle where it should lock. I'm aware you must depress the bloody key then turn to the lock position but the damn bike wont lock!
To be more specific, even when I depress the key in it wont even turn to the lock position.
There is nothing blocking the motorbike to make the full left turn, so that is not the problem.
Enlighten me, someone.

Last edited by 18ROCKET; 04-16-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM

perhaps some lock lubricant? IS it the OG key, or a copy?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you using after market clip-ons or longer than usual bar-ends?

Did it ever lock before?

Are you the original owner of the bike?

If you answered no to these questions, then chances are, your steering lock was broken before.

If you answered yes to these questions then it is possible that you don't have the bike in the correct angle when trying to use the steering lock. I mean, I know that this sounds crazy, but a couple of times, I couldn't get my steering lock to work because I didn't park the bike on even ground (in my garage, it is uneven because of some wood on the ground) and I had to make sure that the tires and side stand were all even.

Also, try to turn the wheel a little while you have the key in the lock position, maybe it is just off of alignment by a little.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Are you using after market clip-ons or longer than usual bar-ends?

Did it ever lock before?

Are you the original owner of the bike?

If you answered no to these questions, then chances are, your steering lock was broken before.

If you answered yes to these questions then it is possible that you don't have the bike in the correct angle when trying to use the steering lock. I mean, I know that this sounds crazy, but a couple of times, I couldn't get my steering lock to work because I didn't park the bike on even ground (in my garage, it is uneven because of some wood on the ground) and I had to make sure that the tires and side stand were all even.

Also, try to turn the wheel a little while you have the key in the lock position, maybe it is just off of alignment by a little.

Hope this helps.
No, no, and no....hmm broken steering lock.
Damnit!
Bloody hell.
Thanks for the info mate.
Well, I guess the previous bloke that owned it broke it.
Is there a way I can tell for a fact that the steering lock is broken or gone?
I'm not about to tear apart the bloody ignition to figure it out, I'll just let it die at that, but is there a way I can actually see if it is broken or not?
Now that I leave the old motorbike outside it drives me batty knowing that the steering lock is not on.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a disc lock that goes on the brake disk, or a heavy duty chain and lock. I personally use a Mossberg. And ALL the neighbors are fully aware of what will happen if they are caught in my yard. Usually my Rotwiler scares them off, but there was that one idiot, now they all stay away. But the disc lock is probably your best bet, check ebay.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM

My steering wont lock due to my aftermarket Vortex Top Tripple clamp. Its thicker than OEM and moved the lock cylinder further down the neck of the frame, there fore not allowing the locking pin to align with the hole in the frame.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey 18Rocket, those are just my suggestions, and I am not saying for sure that your steering lock is broken. Steering locks are easy to break and it is not the best defensive mechanism to rely on. In fact, with motorcycles, there really isn't any best defensive mechanism because there will always be a way to get your motorcycle if someone wants it.

Like Skoobydoobie said, get a disc lock and add to it a chain lock or cable lock to have something to help deter a would-be thief. As for a way to check if your steering lock is broken, I don't know other than what you have already tried. If there are no aftermarket parts being used that could obstruct the normal parking angle/steering park turn in any way, then being broken is an easy assumption. Someone else would have to chime in on a more definitive way to check because I don't know.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Try turning the wheel all the way to the right. you can lock it in either direction with the F4i.