CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bikes you would choose as an alternative to the F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bikes-you-would-choose-alternative-f4i-105016/)

raylee 01-19-2010 07:24 AM

Bikes you would choose as an alternative to the F4i

I'm currently scoping around Korea to find a bike to ride till I leave here in August. Finding a good F4i is becoming more and more difficult. Most of them have been dropped and I'm starting to try and look at other options. What I'm looking for is a bike from the '00-'02 era that has reliability. Budget is a big issue, but just to give you an idea, in Korea an '01 with relatively low mileage goes for $5000, even if the stator's scratched up due to a low-side. And yeah, that's around my budget for now $5000.

I'm not too stressed about how great the bike is in terms of performance (so long as it's somewhere close to the 600cc class and upwards of 80-100 hp range), I plan on getting a 1000rr once I get back to America, but I want something that will be fun to ride around on mountain roads and is reliable enough that I can beat on it though this spring/summer. I really relaly really want an F4i/F sport, but like I said, it's just getting tough to find one that hasn't been raped in one way or the other.

alysiak00 01-19-2010 08:21 AM

How bout just getting a 600rr? They're roughly the same price and the only difference between the 600rr and the f4i is the front cowl (looks and airdam placement), swingarm (which changes nothing what-so-ever), and the gearing is a little different. Just my :icon_twocents: lol.

I've owned both and I do agree that I like the f4i for casual riding but the 600rr grows on ya b/c of the race look

yog182 01-19-2010 08:55 AM

If you are looking into stunts or some wheelies i would try to pick up a kawi 636 pref. 03-04 era but the newer ones would due.. If your looking for a thrill with speed i would look for an R6 =)

boredandstroked 01-19-2010 11:41 AM

03-05 R6 and 06+R6s would be viable alternatives for me in the same price range. Anything older means carbs in which case I'd be looking at something single cylinder with only one POS carb to deal with. Did I mention my dislike for carbs?

teko1020 01-19-2010 11:57 AM

Buell xb12ss... that's going to be my next bike.

Bently600 01-19-2010 12:18 PM

I don't think a buell would be easy to find or cheap in the far east.... He will definitely be looking for something Japanese made.
I rode an 1993 F2 for a year before I got my F4i and loved it. They are pretty bullet proof so you can safely buy one that is a little rough around the edges and you would definitely not be spending $5000. The power (~80hp) isn't too bad (compared to F4i) especially if you changed the gearing.

teko1020 01-19-2010 12:31 PM

Ya but this is "bike's I (you) would choose as alternatives to the f4i" and you never know... Buell's hit it off more in the eastern hemisphere than they did on it's home turf.

raylee 01-19-2010 03:27 PM

The R6 seems like a good idea, but I haven't been able to find anything that I really want to buy yet (at least in a condition I'd be willing to dump money into). Guess I''m just gonna have to sit around and wait for someone to put up a bike for sale that I really want.

Also, I actually prefer the looks of the F4i to the RR in some respects.

MC_spirited 01-19-2010 04:17 PM

There is nothing in common between the RR and F4i, besides that they are hondas. The motor is an entirely differen design, the oil filter isn't even in the same place. The geometry of the frame and ergonomics are different. I'm not trying to be a prick but you make it seem like you can just swap whatever parts you like.

I would get (for myself) a 900rr or 929/954. Possibly a 1000rr or ZX10R. I've got a sweet spot in my heart for 250cc four cylinder four strokes. I'd love a two stroke streetbike also. Maybe a V motor (VFR or RC), but I would have to ride one first.

raylee 01-20-2010 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by MC_spirited (Post 875314)
There is nothing in common between the RR and F4i, besides that they are hondas. The motor is an entirely differen design, the oil filter isn't even in the same place. The geometry of the frame and ergonomics are different. I'm not trying to be a prick but you make it seem like you can just swap whatever parts you like.

I would get (for myself) a 900rr or 929/954. Possibly a 1000rr or ZX10R. I've got a sweet spot in my heart for 250cc four cylinder four strokes. I'd love a two stroke streetbike also. Maybe a V motor (VFR or RC), but I would have to ride one first.

See, the 929/954 option is definitely a possibility, I'm just worried because I've heard they are beasts compared to the 929 and might not be what I'm looking for. Surprisingly, the 929 can be found for the same price as a f4i, the 954 about a grand or two more expensive. I'm just gonna sit tight for another month or so until a bike that really hits my fancy comes along. I was eyeing an F4i for a while, but someone bought it out from under me and now the wait continues.

BTW, great quote from Atmosphere in your sig. Just had to say.