CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bikes leaking (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bikes-leaking-96158/)

thef4i 06-26-2009 01:54 AM

Bikes leaking

Hi everyone. Ran into some problems today. Came home to see a big puddle of gasoline on the floor. Two actually. Almost everything from the tank down was wet with gasoline. Enough to get dizzy after only 20 seconds or so of breathing. I cleaned it up and put a bucket under the bike for now. I dont know where to start. There are 2 thick black wires or cords that seem to have been disconnected from somewhere. Gas is leaking out from there too. Theres no sign of the bike getting tipped over. The bike did smell a little like gasoline a week ago but there were no leaks even until yesterday. Its pretty frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Aken 06-26-2009 02:02 AM

Pull the tank off and trace all your fuel lines, check to see if the FPR exploded (doubtful, but you never know). Check the fuel pump gasket (can't hurt to replace it). If it's gas, it can only come from one place, so it should be pretty easy to follow.

thef4i 06-26-2009 02:22 AM

Alright. Hopefully i'll have a thing or two figured out by tomorrow.

thef4i 06-26-2009 03:04 AM

Before taking anything off, any chance the bikes overflowed?

Berto 06-26-2009 06:03 AM

How old is the bike? Could be the hoses are dry rotted and have leaks, although that seems unlikely.

If the pump has been out of the tank during maintenance--maybe by a previous owner or something--it's possible that the gasket got pinched and just now started leaking. That happened to me.

Pop the tank off and you'll find out easy enough.

--Paul

thef4i 06-26-2009 12:51 PM

The bike is an 05.

I dont know anything at this point because I havent taken the fairings off yet. I'll let you know.

thef4i 06-26-2009 05:58 PM

got some pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Got some pictures of the leak. Theres a small tear near where the hose thing attaches to the tank. I was thinking about taping it temporarily to stop the leak but i dont know how to fix it permanately. :icon_shrug: Is there any way to patch it up or something or do i have to replace the thing? Any ideas?

Its the line with the silver thing around it. The one closer to the tissue.

Berto 06-26-2009 06:17 PM

Ideas? Yeah, forget the tape. It will never hold.

Pull the hose off and get a replacement. That's standard autopart fuel hose stuff, nothing special. Take the old hose with you, get new and replace the clamps while you're at it. Use worm drive clamps.

It's the fuel return line and it's not under the same kind of pressure as the line that goes to the injector system. It's an easy fix, now that you've got the tank off.

--Paul

thef4i 06-26-2009 06:21 PM

Ill give it a shot. Thanks

thef4i 06-27-2009 03:42 AM

Fixed it!

1 Attachment(s)
Stopped the leaking! Bought a 1/4 inch hose from autozone, a foot for $4.30ish. Cut off an inch or so and put it in place. I just used the same clamps. It was either use the same ones or buy like a hundred of them for 7 or 8 bucks. I also dropped a screw somewhere in the bike...and its not coming out lol. Thanks for the advice guys.