CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bikes been sitting, key won't turn to start (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bikes-been-sitting-key-wont-turn-start-152054/)

RekTek 05-23-2014 04:54 PM

Bikes been sitting, key won't turn to start

So I have a small problem with the 05. It's been sitting for 2 years. It has been getting started but not for about 6 months now. I noticed I accidenty left the key in the run position somehow. The battery has been removed for the winter and after turning the key off it now won't spring into and out of the start position. It easily and smoothly goes into the lock and run position but won't turn into the start. I'm not trying to start it a the moment since the battery isn't even in but can't figure out why it won't spring into and out of the start position. Any ideas?

boredandstroked 05-27-2014 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by RekTek (Post 1274471)
It easily and smoothly goes into the lock and run position but won't turn into the start. Any ideas?

Its not a car, there is no start. There is on, and off. Thats it.

Sprock 05-27-2014 08:42 PM

Don't forget that little button on the right control too :D

RoadiJeff 05-27-2014 10:36 PM

So I have a small problem with the 05. It's been sitting for 2 years.

I think it has been sitting for so long you forgot how to start it. Turn the key ON and press the start button. :icon_crackup:

Congee 05-28-2014 12:30 AM

Are you saying that the key won't turn to the run position?
There are 3 modes, lock, off, and run. Which mode are you saying the key won't turn to?

RoadiJeff 05-28-2014 06:35 AM

It easily and smoothly goes into the lock and run position but won't turn into the start.

Originally Posted by Congee (Post 1274665)
Are you saying that the key won't turn to the run position?
There are 3 modes, lock, off, and run. Which mode are you saying the key won't turn to?

Apparently, the position that does not exist.

RekTek 05-28-2014 08:52 AM

Ha! I did forget what the three modes positions are. It won't go from off to start. For some reason I remembered holding the key in the start position and pushing the start button simultaneously. Maybe I should put the retard sticker back on that identifies the key positions. So it will easily go from the lock to off position but not into the RUN position. It just stops dead at the off position.

boredandstroked 05-28-2014 10:46 AM

lol ok thats different. Have you tried spraying a little lube into the cylinder? Does the key still open the gas cap and seat ok?

Congee 05-28-2014 11:53 AM

My ignition is also a little funny. You can to to push the key inwards (down) while wiggling it and turning. You can also try straitening the front wheel, perhaps the wheel lock is interfering somehow.

dman007 05-28-2014 12:11 PM

I'd try some wd40, hopefully it loosens up whatever is causing the binding. Are you able to remove the key?