F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike wont start..any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike wont start..any ideas?

i have an 06 f4i with oonly 4500 miles. i wrecked it slightly. it started and run fine on the way home.i started it once in my shop,it wizzed over a few times but it did start after two or three tries.i tried it tonight and it will just turn over.it wont even try to start. the only thing ive done is tilt back the fuel tank so i could make sure my filter housing didnt have any oil in it.i let the tank back down and reconnected that little line that pulls loose when you raise the tank. its full of fuel.all the fuses are good.i dont see how it could just all the sudden not start. any ideas?
thanks for any info guys

Old 06-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bike wont start..any ideas?

you "wrecked it slightly" doesn't help us much..what did you do to it? Have you checked the battery? It is possible that it could have gone bad...just remember think simple first.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 AM

well,i just slid it over going through a curve on the grass. i broke several peices including the front cowl and instrument cluster. the cluster still works. nothing on the bike "mechanically wise,its messed up. likei said,my friend drove it 5 miles back to his house 10 minutes after i wrecked.i got a fractured shoulder blade out of the deal. the bike started right up then,and it started when we loaded it up. it did start once here at my shop when i tried it. tonight i tried,and it wont even try to start up.its either not getting fuel or spark but i dont see how this could happen while sitting still. the battery is in perfecxt shape.my bike is only two months old.all of the fuel lines are still connected because i didnt even take them off.maybe ill figure it out,ill just go from system to system till i get it going.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 AM

maybe a fuel line is kinked?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 AM

Pull the headers off, try starting it again, see if you can smell gas coming out, that will narrow down if it's fuel or spark.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes the battery will act up after a crash, even if its new. I realize you say it's in perfect shape, but did you check this with a voltmeter?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 PM

i just assume the battery is good because it turns over fine. its been started three times since the wreck.ill double check it tonight with a voltmeter. im hoping its just one of the fuel lines kinked,or maybe one of the metal ones got bent when i raised the tank up when i removed the air filter

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 AM

battery showed 12.16 volts.i kept cranking it over tonight in like 5 second go's until i killed the battery i guess.i hooked up booster cables but it still wouldnt start. the fuel lines coming from the tank look good.i dont understand how it could just all the sudden not start.i had the headlights and speedo unhooked,but i hooked them back up. i dont have the front or rear blinkers hooked up but that wouldnt cause this
i have both footpeg assemblies off but i dont see what that would do
i put another exhaust on which didnt have the o2 sensor,i put my old one back on (with sensor) but still the same.i may have killed the batt tonight anyways,so ill buy another one but i doubt thats the problem.

im kinda baffled,i even tried the advise the owners manual gives for a flooded engine. i guess ill proceed with replacing all the broke parts and maybe ill figure out something.......

Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 AM

There's a tip sensor up by the headlight, if that's disconnected or stuck sideways, the bike won't start. Have you checked that?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 AM

did u check the kill switch? make sure its not in first with stand down?
simple stuff that often gets overlooked.
good luck

Quick Reply: bike wont start..any ideas?