CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bike Won't Start after Changing Exhaust (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bike-wont-start-after-changing-exhaust-96036/)

djmnyc 06-23-2009 09:59 PM

Bike Won't Start after Changing Exhaust

So bummed.

I just finished switching out my 2006's stock exhaust to a Scorpion street extreme slip-on, and now it won't start. :-(

Gas pump primed fine ... then I tried turning it over, and it wouldn't start. I tried this several times until the Fi light came on, and my digital clock reset. I guess I juiced the battery out trying to start it up?

What to do now? Any suggestions?

I've had the bike for a little over 2 months, and I never had any problems starting it up before tonight. I put around 1200 miles on it, and was riding it at least 3-4 times a week. Then, I wasn't able to ride for probably 10 days or so before trying to start it tonight.

nickels 06-23-2009 11:02 PM

sounds like a coincidence to me....exhaust shouldnt make a difference in starting but i would put the stock exhaust back on and charge the battery and see if it starts....i would say the battery just puked out at the wrong time

djmnyc 06-23-2009 11:05 PM

yeah, that's what I'm hoping. although, I did have to yank on the o2 sensor a bit to get it into the new exhaust. perhaps I screwed something up with that? I'll play around again tomorrow night after work.

nickels 06-23-2009 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by djmnyc (Post 801564)
yeah, that's what I'm hoping. although, I did have to yank on the o2 sensor a bit to get it into the new exhaust. perhaps I screwed something up with that? I'll play around again tomorrow night after work.

electronics= no yanking :icon_doh: see if you can bypass that BS if you find something up with it

djmnyc 06-23-2009 11:24 PM

well ... i guess yank is a strong word. it was a bitch to get it into the new exhaust, so I had to gently pull it to get the sensor screwed in all the way. lol.

anyway ... the battery definitely lost it's charge as well. so, I'm hoping that's the only problem.

looking online for a good battery charger now ... any preferences? deltran?

nickels 06-23-2009 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by djmnyc (Post 801573)
well ... i guess yank is a strong word. it was a bitch to get it into the new exhaust, so I had to gently pull it to get the sensor screwed in all the way. lol.

anyway ... the battery definitely lost it's charge as well. so, I'm hoping that's the only problem.

never bought a battery so idk the best place to get one....

djmnyc 06-23-2009 11:30 PM

how about a charger/tender? u never used one before?

nickels 06-23-2009 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by djmnyc (Post 801580)
how about a charger/tender? u never used one before?

nope but i hear good things about them so i would say get one if you dont ride your bike every week

hondarider600 06-24-2009 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by djmnyc (Post 801573)

I had to pull on mine a little too to get it to screw in all the way but I didn't have any problems like this.

djmnyc 06-24-2009 10:06 AM

Thanks Nickels ... thanks hondarider600 ...

Well ... I'm a little concerned now, because I spoke to the previous owner, and he said it was brand new battery. I was actually hoping it was the original battery, which would have made it between 3 and 4 yrs old, but he had it replaced last year.

And besides, when I first started trying to start the bike last night, there was definitely enough juice from the battery. All the lights came on, the gas pump primed, the speedometer needle check occurred with no problems, etc. It was turning over, it just never caught. Then, after several tries, the battery started to lose juice.

Damn ... I hope I didn't dislodge something by pulling on the O2 sensor during the exhaust switch. Anyone ever experience problems starting the bike after playing around with the O2 sensor?

If it's not the O2 sensor, or an electrical problem ... and not the battery ... I'm afraid to think what could be wrong. Hmmmmmm.

Sorry for the long post everyone ... just brain dumping here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks