CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bike wont start!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bike-wont-start-105001/)

AzNxBoixX 01-18-2010 09:53 PM

Bike wont start!!

Ok so, my friend is a newb and was riding his F4i and lowsided it on the left hand side going about 20mph in a neighborhood. No big deal to him, just a bruse here and there. But then there was oil leaking from the alternator cover and the bike wont start. This happened about a week ago and well the oil stopped leaking. Not much really leaked out just about a 4 inch diameter of oil puddle. Any ideas where I should begin to help get my friend's bike running again?

DBEAU 01-18-2010 10:21 PM

Well I suppose it would be appropriate to check all your fuses and relays first.

motorhorse 01-19-2010 12:52 AM

does it crank or do nothing when you hit the engine start?

alysiak00 01-19-2010 08:25 AM

check to see if the tip over sensor tripped

backroad 01-19-2010 09:07 PM

Shouldn't be any oil under the stator (alternator) cover, so I would look for case/stator/wiring damage there. But, since it went down on the left side, check the clutch lever switch and kickstand switch. Could be as simple as the clutch switch came unplugged in the crash. Also, there's a large wiring harness plug under the left side fairing, just under the left air duct cover, that connects the harness to the electrical stuff in the nose cowl. Make sure it's making good contact with all of its pins. I've had it give me problems and keep my bike from starting and had to tighten up the pins in it to get the fuel pump to prime.

R Dub 01-20-2010 10:39 AM

In order to help you out we will need more info like does the fuel pump prime or not and will it crank or no.

I agree with backroad that there shouldn't be any oil under the stator cover. You should check for cracks. When I dropped mine it cracked the chit out of my stator cover so your friend might be in the market for a new one.

The first two places I would start is with the tip over sensor and the connection that backroad talked about under the left fairing by the air duct. I know all too well about that connection as it has left me stranded twice because of a loose wire in that harness.

speedyf4i 01-20-2010 08:19 PM

there is supposed to be oil under the stator cover. there was oil when i cracked mine last year so i did some research online. i found there is supposed to be some oil in there. in the replacement instructions it states ur even supposed to drain the oil before you begin. i think theres a thread about it somewhere on the forum as well...

R Dub 01-20-2010 09:38 PM

My post might have been confusing. YES there is suppose to be a little oil in the cover. I mean there is NOT suppose to be oil on the ground underneath the cover. Hope this clears it up.

AzNxBoixX 01-20-2010 11:29 PM

great help guys, ill check all these out on the bike in the morning.

backroad 01-21-2010 12:57 AM

My post might have been confusing. YES there is suppose to be a little oil in the cover. I mean there is NOT suppose to be oil on the ground underneath the cover. Hope this clears it up.
Don't feel bad. I seem to said it wrong, too.....oil inside yes, not under on the ground.