F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike will not electrically start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike will not electrically start

But it can be bump-started with the clutch and runs perfect onced started.. but will not start back up using the ignition button. Guy I bought it from says that he recently replaced the battery rectifier. Battery is bad? If so, where can I get a good battery from that doesn't cost $180!! Bike is an '01 F4i

TIA

Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Default RE: Bike will not electrically start

I would say your batt is dead i got a used F4i from a dealership with a dead batt ,
as for prices on batts i am just used to going with red tops for my car, dono what they run for the bike :P one of the super members probably know where to get one tho

Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 AM

I got one at a yamaha dealer it was only 60 dollars.[sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 AM

its "probably" the battery, but before you just go get one, try jump starting the bike with your car WITH THE CAR TURNED OFF ....OFF. and if it starts right up its the battery, if not, its something else.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

its "probably" the battery, but before you just go get one, try jump starting the bike with your car WITH THE CAR TURNED OFF ....OFF. and if it starts right up its the battery, if not, its something else.
+1
Or use a multimeter to test the battery.

If the batt is dead, you can try a gel battery.. they're supposed to recover better from deep discharge and from falls (yes crashes seem to mess batteries up sometimes). I got one from ebay and it's worked great so far. Search one that is the replacement for the stock battery (yz.xx10x some code like that)

Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Its not the battery. I got a brand new one and had it charged. Bike started up 3 or 4 times and on the 5th it would not. I'm guessing before I test rode the bike the guy charged the battery so it would last through the test ride.

Now what could the problem be? I'm thinking starter?? If so, why would it start the first few times then not again until the battery is new?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:04 PM

are u absolutely positive the rectifier has been replaced? cuz when i had my f2 i had the same problem it was the rectifier...

Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: svek

Its not the battery. I got a brand new one and had it charged. Bike started up 3 or 4 times and on the 5th it would not.
So you just kept turning it on and off to see how many times it would work? Or do you mean you started and rode it 3 or 4 times before the battery failed again? You need to check the output from the reg/rec to the battery to see if its charging properly.

ORIGINAL: ampfp

If the batt is dead, you can try a gel battery.. they're supposed to recover better from deep discharge and from falls (yes crashes seem to mess batteries up sometimes
Normal battery's are lead plates with acid sloshing around them. When you fall you can jar a plate loose hence the problems.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 AM

The guy I bought it from lied about a couple of things that I found later so I'm not convinced he replaced it. I don't know why he would randomly write that he replaced it in the ad though.
ORIGINAL: y0ukeun

are u absolutely positive the rectifier has been replaced? cuz when i had my f2 i had the same problem it was the rectifier...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:37 AM

Things that suck... hmm... how about walking out to your gorgeous cbr and realizing that someone has stolen it.

Quick Reply: Bike will not electrically start