CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bike vandalized . .best options to fix this? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bike-vandalized-best-options-fix-99544/)

aireq 08-23-2009 07:04 PM

Bike vandalized . .best options to fix this?

Earlier last week I was at work really late. I walked of the office around 1:00 am, and looked down the street and could see my bike laying on the ground where I parked it. There happened to be two cops standing on the corner, so I asked them if they saw anything but they hadn't. They came around and helped me get it back up but there wasn't much else they could do.

After I road off about three blocks away I ran into this old lady with some yamaha model motorcycle, also on the ground. I helped her get her bike up as well. So seem like there were just some punk kids going around downtown SF knocking over bikes.

Damage:
Left mirror broken off
Front Fairing Cracked at mirror connection
Main fairing scuffed, frame slider kept it from cracking
Rear Fairing cracked
Left handle bar a little tweaked

Here's pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aireq/s...7621957699203/

So what are my best options to repair this? OEM plastics are absurdly expensive, but I don't want total POS crap either. Should I just watch eBay for some good deals on used fairings, or are there any new 3rd party fairings that aren't horrendously overpriced for being 5 lbs of plastic.

supersnake83 08-23-2009 07:31 PM

Mirrors are replaceable. - Ebay, Bikebandit.com, etc.

Handlebar, its your call, but depending on how bent it is (hard to tell exactly from the pictures) it might not be that much of a big deal, but if you want to replace it, you can find the factory left clip on from bikebandit.com or similar. (or Ebay). I left mine slightly bend after going down in February.

The biggest problems are the fairings and your rear fairing is probably worse off than the front fairing. I would try and repair both fairings, but the other issue is the paint job that follows.

If you are familiar with doing the repair/paint or some part of either or both, then I would repair the fairings or have someone do it for you. If you need DIY directions, search the forum or someone will probably reply with some help. CBRF member Skoobydoobie PM'd me some directions a while back, but I did not use/need them as I paid someone to do my fairings for me.

It sucks that all of this happened to you and hopefully you will get if fixed soon.

f4itypeofguy 08-23-2009 07:35 PM

my question is why would they push it over on the kickstand side? seems to me that it would have been easier to push it over on the other side? Seems a little fishy..... I dunno....but i would just keep an eye out on ebay, craigslist, or maybe here for some new parts. Sorry to hear about it man.

2H company 08-23-2009 07:44 PM

There is method aka plastic welding. So, the fairings might be fixable. The main problem is painting which cost a lot usually. Another way is to buy new set off eBay. Again, you can get them unpainted and get some custom stuff on.
Just count pros and cons, see what will cost more, decide and do it!!!

It's very sad how people don't care about others' property. Good luck with fixing you bike!!!

P.S. A new semester is about to start. I want to avoid parking problem by commuting on my bike, but at the same time I'm worried that the bike can be stolen\vandalized. Ehhhhh...

aireq 08-23-2009 08:06 PM

. . .if they pushed it over on it's right side then it would have it the ground flatter, and and the sliders probably would have done a better job. Pushing it onto the kick stand make the kickstand hold the bike up more and more of the plastic/tank etc hit the ground. The other bike was also down on it's left side. I guess if you are going to be a complete dick wad you might as well do it right .. . . *sigh*

Yeah but fairings are the big question to me. Seems like repairing them is a whole lot more trouble then it's worth. I'm a a handy guy but when it comes to body work type stuff I'm don't really have the patience or the space.

What about just replacing all the fairings? Is the stuff from this company complete crap? Because it looks fine in the photos?

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/auctmarts1/

A full set is about $309 + 225 shipping = $534 . From what i can see from doing some quick eBay pricing that's about $100 more then I would pay for just the front and rear fairings used. Anyone seen one of these fairing kits from china before?

entities 08-23-2009 09:58 PM

Stupid punks! Some kids in my neighborhood smashed out like 70 car windows just for the heck of it! We didn't do that crap when we were kids and we had fun...

-Chad

Zero1080 08-24-2009 01:09 AM

^I don't know how that's fun anyways. I can honestly say toilet paper is where the line should be drawn, cause all that is, is annoying.

normant 08-24-2009 02:18 AM

too many punk kids these days. i live in oakland where there are tons of vandalism going on. some db kid threw a rock through my window. one mugged my cousin across the street.

as for your fairings, try a DIY approach first and if that fails maybe a professional? but i think that it might be cheaper to replace the fairings off ebay.

Aken 08-24-2009 03:58 AM

The rear fairing may be repairable but it'd be a bitch. That's definitely a job for someone experienced in plastic repair.

The front fairing is easily repaired and repainted for way cheaper than a new OEM or set of aftermarket.

Aftermarket fairings rarely fit anywhere near as well as OEM, and some of the cheap Hong Kong kits from Ebay are notorious for needing a few days of prep in order to fit well.

I'd look into trying to find a new tail fairing (or at least one that is much more easily repaired than yours), and then fix the front and side fairings and get them freshly painted. It shouldn't cost anywhere as much as a new set of aftermarket plastics.

Uhh Glitch 08-24-2009 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by aireq (Post 827185)
. . .if they pushed it over on it's right side then it would have it the ground flatter, and and the sliders probably would have done a better job. Pushing it onto the kick stand make the kickstand hold the bike up more and more of the plastic/tank etc hit the ground. The other bike was also down on it's left side. I guess if you are going to be a complete dick wad you might as well do it right .. . . *sigh*

Yeah but fairings are the big question to me. Seems like repairing them is a whole lot more trouble then it's worth. I'm a a handy guy but when it comes to body work type stuff I'm don't really have the patience or the space.

What about just replacing all the fairings? Is the stuff from this company complete crap? Because it looks fine in the photos?

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/auctmarts1/

A full set is about $309 + 225 shipping = $534 . From what i can see from doing some quick eBay pricing that's about $100 more then I would pay for just the front and rear fairings used. Anyone seen one of these fairing kits from china before?

i'm sorry to hear that bro...but....if your interested i have a cheetah race kit for sale and it looks like i have all the parts you need..i'm selling it for $275...i'd post it in the f/s section, but i don't have 100 posts yet...if you're interested PM me i'll send you pics of the kit asap...i also have a basically brand new red tank if there's problems with yours.