F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike stuttering

Hi!
I just got a 2001 f4i, and I noticed on the highway (at 120 km/h) the engine stutters a bit... nothing violent yet, but I'm a bit concerned.
Feels almost as if it's running outta gas (which isn't the case... full tank!).
Also, just before I went on the highway, the engine just stalled at a traffic light.
THe system reset itself twice (all lights flashed, and tachometer needle did a 360). Then the F1 light stayed on for a bit. Once I got it started, the fuel reserve indicator was on for a few minutes, and the clock, tripometer were all reset (as if the battery was disconnected)!!

Please keep in mind that I have zero motorcycle technical knowledge... a know a bit, but consider myself a noob.
Thanks guys!!

Old 04-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike stuttering

sputtered or stuttered? if the latter, i'd take the bike to a speech therapist....
if the former, i would check the battery cable first. sounds like the main wire may be loose and you're actually having power cutting in and out.

T

Old 04-14-2006, 04:33 PM

I'll check the battery connections.
But I'm thinking it would sputter at any speed.... it was sputtering only above 100km/h.

could it be a sensor... injectors, or something?
What does the "f1" light indicate?

Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends, if the battery connector is moving around, it'll trigger the light as well.
you need to count the blinks of the light.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Yeah this post hits home with me. i just got done riding for a while today and i noticed my bike kept stuttering while i was cruising along, just like you were saying. i was a little worried but i thought maybe i had some bad gas in the tank or something. Keep cruising and it gets a little worse. Then stalls at the light and the gages flick on and off like you said. i was thinking this isn't good. At the next light it just died and wouldn't crank so i roll it off the road and strat looking into things. Tried a few things and then nothing would come on at all. Took off the seatm CPU thing ( i belive that's what it is), and then the battery cover. Tightened all my connections back down tight (they were much looser than they should have been) and she was good as new. i hope that helps somehow and i hope it's an easy fix.

David

Old 04-14-2006, 09:47 PM

I had the same problem and it was because the battery cable was bouncing off the terminal. I just tightened them up and it ran perfect. Actually the same thing happened just today and i did the same thing. Still works perfect.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:17 AM

Well, I checked out the battery terminals, and you guys were right!
The connectors will loose like crazy... so I tightened up and we'll see how it goes.

I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.
Will the terminals get loose later on?
How often will I need to tighten them up?

Much apreciated!!!

Old 04-15-2006, 05:29 AM

Hell last time I tightened the terminalls was like a year and a half ago.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 AM

What does the sputtering feel like? Is it very slight or is it really noticeable. I want to know so I can identify the problem if if happens to me. thx

Old 04-16-2006, 02:45 AM

In my case, it started out not too bad, or maybe i didn't notice itat first. But then it was pretty bad. i just noticed it when i was going at constant rpm's. the bike would stutter and kind of lurch forward a little bit. it was definitely something you would notice. just feels like the bike is running rough and the power won't deliver. Hope that helps, it's kind of hard to explain.

Quick Reply: Bike stuttering