F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Started Smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bike Started Smoking?

Hey Guys,
I have a 2001 F4i with 21k km on it. I was driving home yesterday in the rain and noticed when I stopped at the lights there was smoke coming up from under the handle bars, near the rad.
I just recently installed a Devil High Mount exhaust and ddm HID headlights. When I installed the HID's 1 of the intake resivoir box was already removed for wiring for the Hand warmers so I removed the other one and covered them both with tape so nothing would fall in the open hole.
I dont think that would cause the engine to smoke But I'm still a newb to bikes. Other then that nothing has changed, I havent been hard on it.
And the smoke wasnt just water on the exhaust, it had a smell to it, Im just not sure what the smell was.

Any help would be greatly appreiciated

Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that is is water and oil from the road getting on hot parts so you have nothing to worry about. Ride it on a day that it is not raining. If you don't see smoke or smell anything strange than your good. If you do then it will be much easier to see where the smoke is coming from.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by R Dub
My guess is that is is water and oil from the road getting on hot parts so you have nothing to worry about. Ride it on a day that it is not raining. If you don't see smoke or smell anything strange than your good. If you do then it will be much easier to see where the smoke is coming from.

yea lol this would be the guy to listen to.... his bike has has everything humanly possible wrong with it haha... I wish hed just decide to keep it and buy my sets already

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a wash tonight and try it out tomorrow and see. I just was scared to hurt it more if it was like a gasket or something. Its my 1st bike so Im probably just paranoid lol.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burning wet road grime on your headers definatley has a funky smell to it.

Burning coolant has a distinct smell, same with oil. And the only place they'll burn is on the exhaust headers. its the rain brutha!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by zmds18
yea lol this would be the guy to listen to.... his bike has has everything humanly possible wrong with it haha... I wish hed just decide to keep it and buy my sets already
Z you'll love this...Another problem. Just put a new thread up about it. Yeah it is time for this bike to go!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks, I rode today and it smelled for the first little bit but no smoke and the smell went away. I just got paranoid since its my 1st street bike.

Cheers