F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Security..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Security..

im moving to an appartment this fall for school and i have one spot for both my bike and truck. what do you guys think is the best security system. not like an alarm but chain. my friend told me about this chain called the new yorker. just wondering what everyones thoughts were. thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Bike Security..

i would say go with both, i dont trust apartments. I beleive there was another post on here about a guy that lived in an apartment and had a chain and an alarm, they completely cut through the chain but quit when the alarm went off. I have an alarm on my bike, but i dont live in an apartment, if i did, i would get a chain as well. just my two cents. hope that helps your decision.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 AM

If you use a chain, make sure you wrap it through the Frame right under the driver seat. There are alot of thieves that will pull off the wheels if you wrap it around them.

I lived in an apartment and I always wrapped it around the frame. Makes it where they have to destroy the bike frame to take the bike.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 AM

Any chance you can get an anchor fitted to the ground? if your allowed it will mean they have to break the chain to take the bike. unless they REALLLY want it they not bother. but if they do they will get it regardless what you put on it.... Alarm is a good deterent as it draws attention.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Ok, seriously, i have the new york hex gold plated chain to, and let me tell you, its ****. If your running in and out of someplace sure lock it up. But, if anyone has a portable plasma cutter (THIS HAS HAPPEND BEFORE) they can cut that lock in 3 minutes. THE BEST and only way to lock up your bike while your not using it is to get a garage (thiefs cant steal what they dont see) and then anchor it in the garage, or keep it inside your apartment. Ive lived in apartments, had a wheel lock, didnt have a chain then, but within 4 hours of me parking my bike, it got jacked. Just keep this **** in mind..

Old 04-12-2006, 07:42 PM

yeah i heard the new york hex was good. hhmmm. what do you guys think about the low jack system. or alarm systems??

Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 PM

lo jack is only for harleys, theres been a **** lod of talking going on trying to get them to train sportbike mechs to install lo jack, but it requires a **** load ofbackground checks and ****..so far no go. and alarms, theres few out there, scorpio i like, tons of options...

Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 PM

honestly, i'm not sure if you live on the first floor or the 2nd floor, a lot easier if you lived on the 1st, park that thing in the apartment. Might be a pain in the butt since it takes up a lot of space, but hey, better than it being stolen....

Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 AM

perimeter alarm and get one of those Xena rotor locks with a siren

Old 04-13-2006, 05:11 AM

i dont think lojack is just for harleys. i was looking into a while back, but it wasnt available in my area, or state something like that. But then they called me a couple months later and said it was good to go in my state and that all i would have to do is schedule an appt. at one of their authorized dealerships. I didnt do it cuz one of my cop buddies said that on sportbikes, they didnt have a very good recovery rate. I dont know if thats true or not, but at the time i didnt feel like dealing with it, not to mention, my bike is pretty secure where its at now.

Quick Reply: Bike Security..