CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   bike keeps stranding me..whats going on?! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bike-keeps-stranding-me-whats-going-130602/)

SirFlow 09-08-2011 10:16 PM

bike keeps stranding me..whats going on?!

Hello all. So ill try to recap, but let me warn I'm very new to bikes. So I have an 05 f4i, and was having no problems for past year.

This season, 5 times now, bike has started up and ridden fine, getting me to my destination, but when I go out to restart I can't get it running. the fuel pump runs, the lights come on, but when I hit ignition, lcd flickers, clock resets, and it won't start.

So, I take it to dealer, they check charging sys (had this done twice now), says its good, and send me off with a brand new , fresh charged battery. Then, it happens again...

So, back to diff dealer, who says because I was running hi beams all the time, any time it was idling, it was slowly draining battery. Ok, so I stop running hi beams. He re-charges battery and off I go.

Few weeks go by, and no probs. So, yesterday, ride to destination, when come back to restart, its starts, but sounds kinda weak, like it just barely had enough juice. Today, once again, ride to store, come back out 10 min later, and I'm getting the flickering lcd thing, and had to roll down hill and pop clutch to get goin.

I'm getting frustrated, as you can imagine, and goin back to dealer, for third time tomorrow, but I can't imagine what could be that they couldn't catch first two times... I just want to be able to rely on my bike to get me home, haha.

Any advice would be appreciated, gentleman.

Also, as side note, bought bike with leds on it, which were poorly wired in, loosely wrapped around terminals. Last trip to dealer, he put eyelets on them, but I have not even so much as turned them on since then... Thinking about yanking em out.

Anyway, sorry for long ramble, what u guys think?

- new member, John

madman 09-09-2011 12:57 AM

I don't know all that much about the electrical system on bikes but I'd think you have something that's taxing your charging system or a short or something like that. Stator maybe?

R Dub 09-09-2011 10:43 AM

I would check your R/R (Rectifier/Regulator) I hear that is a somewhat common part to fail and when it does your bike won't charge. If I remember correctly there are a lot of threads on this. I will try to look my self and post some up.

Kuroshio 09-09-2011 11:04 AM

2 things
  1. grab a multimeter and check the charging system yourself
  2. are your leds remote operated?
Checking the charging system is fairly easy. Whole procedure is outlined, with values to expect, in the manual which you can download.

If your leds have a remote, its pulling on your battery 24/7. I have leds & an alarm. If my bike goes 5 days without being ridden, the battery will be dead. RF receivers for devices like alarms and leds are constant On, looking for the remote signal. 2 way alarms like mine are worse, constantly sending a signal to the fob.

ThaBrock 09-09-2011 11:55 AM

I just finished fighting this grimlin.
Mine was the regulator/rectifier. Find yours on your bike. You will either see that you plug to the RR is deformed and melted or your RR unit will show signs of excessive heat.
I caught mine in time and wired In a 12 volt computer processor fan attached to the RR to keep it cool. There are other alternatives to this problem.

SirFlow 09-09-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will be looking into this, as well as mention it to the local dealer, who is pretty reputab

SirFlow 09-09-2011 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will be looking into this, as well as mention it to the local dealer, who is pretty reputable in middle TN area.

Kuroshio, its just a switch on the bike, no remote, although it could still be an issue, I'm sure.

I'll keep you posted when I know more.

Had no problems for past 3,500 miles, let's hope I can get it solved! These bikes have a reputation for being tank-like and near indestructible.

ThaBrock 09-10-2011 10:38 AM

Flow,
Pull off your side covers and look for this part.
Its a simple plug and play part. The stealership will fix it in 5 minutes and charge arm, leg, hand, foot complete.
( remember to look for signs of heat failure )

(R/R)HONDA RECTIFIER VOLTAGE REGULATOR CBR 600 F4i 01 - 04 | eBay

SirFlow 09-21-2011 11:34 AM

update:

so, i just heard back from the dealership. Theyve been looking at it for a couple days now. Heres what they said.

They cant find ANYTHING wrong with it. They checked it hot, they checked it cold. They checked it with all lights running and idling, said its pulling some juice, but not alot. Charging system is still fine. They checked stator, said he checked rectifier diodes, and watched regulator (he said they cant really check this, and that all they can do is see how the bike is running...or something like that).

He said he literally cannot find a thing wrong with it. He said they could put a new reg/rect on it, but that he cant justify recommending this as its like $200 with labor and he doesnt know for sure its the problem.

He did recommend maybe getting a battery tender for about $60, and see if it helps to use that when its just sitting in garage, worst case scenario, Ill have one for future use.

So, there it is. They didnt charge me a penny, since ive been in for same problem a few monthes ago, so thats good, but it kinda sucks not knowing whats up with my bike...

what would you do?

Sick97SS 09-21-2011 02:59 PM

..just buy a cheap RR online and ride off into the sunset. :icon_bike:

here's one for $40

or call a few salvage places

Decent battery tenders are about 30$ at walmart. But this WONT SOLVE your problem.
I have never had the need for a batt-tender, even letting it sit for months (on stands, unhooked batt) at a time through the winter.