F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike just clicks and won't turn over. Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike just clicks and wont turn over. Help

you should always push start in 3rd gear for best results. Check your charging system but I would suspect a different culprit like a faulty FPR could also be the issue. Pull your plugs and try turning it over. You may be hydrolocking.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the battery on charge for awhile at least 4hrs min. You can buy a bad battery too. I know that because i bought a bad one awhile back. I keep both my 1000s on a tender threw the winter time. Just my 2cents worth.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: DWT74

Put the battery on charge for awhile at least 4hrs min. You can buy a bad battery too. I know that because i bought a bad one awhile back. I keep both my 1000s on a tender threw the winter time. Just my 2cents worth.
Don't buy a bad one, if you go to a motorcycle shop, wink at the guy and say " I want the good one" and you won't get the bad one

Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 PM

[/quote]

Don't buy a bad one, if you go to a motorcycle shop, wink at the guy and say " I want the good one"
[/quote]

Before some homophobic shop owner punches you odds are the new battery you got was fine,

If a new battery still would not start your bike and considering the symptoms you described that does sound exactly like a hydrolocked motor. It would be unlikely for this to happen just from a short ride by your friend unless he dropped it but I guess that didnt happen. If oil, coolant, gas, or a combination of those fluids is on your pistons your bike would do just as you described and pulling plugs is the way to find out/fix.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 AM

But if the motor was hyrdrolocked, wouldn't it not even bump start? I can bump start the bike, just can't start it normal with electrical system.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: blackhawk411

But if the motor was hyrdrolocked, wouldn't it not even bump start? I can bump start the bike, just can't start it normal with electrical system.
Yeah thats true, I guess it aint hydrolocked. I would say starter problems if a new battery wouldn't do the truck. Sounds like the elec.power is there but there is a resisting force somewhere keeping it from turning over. If it starts and runs from a push start then it would have to be the starter, provided that last new battery was good.

Arent new batts supposed to read in the 13+ voltage range and not just 12.6?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM

Correct, new batt. could not start the bike. I really hope the battery is having problem holding charge during cranking cycle or something. Really hope it isn't the starter seeing how it's expensive to replace it.
disregard my post then lol. i have a tendency to skip over the important posts doop [&:]

Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt see where you said you could push start till now, but ya no hydrolock then. You should be reading around 13.2 volts or something but 12.6 should be enough to start it. Take a volt meter and see if you actually have the same voltage at the starter solenoid where it hooks up from the battery. Could be bad connections. If you do then I would suspect solenoid or starter.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Starters do have moving parts, they do break. Were you with your friend when he last rode your bike? Were you with him the whole time? He could have cut in on and off, stalled it out, had to keep restarting it, etc.

A starter on any vehicle will heat up in no time. The more a starter (or any electrical part) heats up the more resistance there is to current flow which means the potential for more cranking and damage done since the device is still demanding current.

I would give the same advice as jonld did above.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Bike just clicks and won't turn over. Help

Hello

I got a 2002 F4i. It had been sitting outside for a week (cover on but it rained for a week straight), I let my buddy ride it around the parking lot a couple days ago and it started fine. Then when I went to go start it last night, it turned over twice, VERY WEAKLY. then all it did was click everytime I pushed the starter button. 'CLICK' then nothing. So assuming it is the battery, I went out and bought a new battery, checked it with AOUSA tester and it tested 12.8V. Installed it on the bike, turned over three times WEAK again and it just clicks. SoI push started the bike and got it to a shop for now, what could it be? They suspect starter could be bad, anyone have different opinons?
Someone mentioned charging the battery with a battery charger. You want to do this with one made SPECIFICALLY for motorcycle batteries, otherwise you can damage it. It's possible the battery didn't have the amps. to turn your motor sufficiently. If the battery is charged adequately and is good, it should be able to spin your motor for at least a few minutes before it dies. Did you verify with the shop you got it from that they charged it before they sold it to you? If it's a sealed battery it's possible that it comes 'drop in and go.' I've never trusted this and would put it on a trickle charger for 4 to 6 hours then test.

hope this helps....

Quick Reply: Bike just clicks and won't turn over. Help