F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike is HICCUPPING, throttle cutting on and off

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I have the same questions. Always heard about it. And would never hurt to just pour some in for the start of the season.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad the Sea Foam solution ended up curing that ailed your motorbike, but just in case the problem persists, check the battery connections.

I figured out that was the reason my dash and front light kept dimming on and off, as if the motorbike wanted to die.

I took the battery tester out and thought that the bike might have a faulty battery, or that it was goin bad due to the recent cold weather, but was surprised that the tester read 12.9!
Well over 12 Volts.

So I was a bit stumped.

Then I took out the whole battery to have a closer look under the rubber boots, and low and behold....the terminals were filthy, full of acid gunk or god-knows what.
That, and the terminal screws had come fairly loose due to engine vibration.
I bought the battery cleaner and protector kit, cleaned that sonvabitch up and .....ta da!

My F4i was back to full power, no lagging, no dimming.

I had thought it was dirty or clogged fuel injectors like in your situation, and I used Sea Foam as well, and it actually did help, but the cause ended up being the battery.

Smooth operation back in full swing!

Hope this helps in case the problem persists.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:31 PM

WELL APPERANTLY it started to act up again today!! Well ima check on the battery tomorrow. But its getting annoying. its still jerking and cutting of, but not as bad as it used to. Im starting to think it has to do with the fuel filter and or pump. But ill check on the battery.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you buy fuel from? Maybe dump it & try a better brand. Just a thought. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Originally Posted by Az1kF
Never used the stuff so if I try it, how much do you put if the gas tank & do you have to run out all the fuel?
Originally Posted by Zero1080
^I have the same questions. Always heard about it. And would never hurt to just pour some in for the start of the season.
Use the 1oz. of Seafoam per 1 gallon of gasoline ratio. So with a 12oz. bottle, you'll get two tanks, with 2oz. left over. Also, you don't have to run your tank dry, specially if you do two consecutive treatments in a row. I don't ride all the time (just on days off), so my bike gets Seafoam every third or fourth tank fill up, although I might just switch to MMO.
Here's another method:
If you search on YouTube, you'll see dozens of smoke shows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11ZV...eature=player_

Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 PM

I fill my bike up with exxon supreme. 100% gas.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Just got done checking the battery and around the battery. Everything literally looks like it just came out the factory. Clean....... FUEL FILTER/PUMP?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Question

one thing i forgot to mention it has a powercommander III. do you think it could be the that?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

It's definitely possible. If it were me, I'd disconnect it and see if that doesn't resolve the problem. If it does fix it, then you know the PC is culprit.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM

My opinion on the matter is to go back to your electrical connections. If your clock resets everytime this happens then that tells me you either have a bad connection or a faulty battery. Have had issues like that in the past and always was a bad connection whether directly on the battery or elsewhere in the electrical system. Try testing the battery under load and pulling the connections off and cleaning them, even though they look clean. here could be corrosion inside the connections that you cant see without removing them.

Quick Reply: Bike is HICCUPPING, throttle cutting on and off