F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike is finally finished. New paint pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike is finally finished. New paint pics.

Nice I like it, Was wondering what exactly did you do to get the stickers/graphics off the fuel tank? I was thinking about painting mine this winter but don't know much about sand preping the tank....can u help?

Old 10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you must be stoked... looks brilliant!!!... looking at makein some panels up for the silver beast soon... hope it comes out half as good...great job...peace

Old 10-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did that Honda some extreme justice my friend.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 05CBRrider

Nice I like it, Was wondering what exactly did you do to get the stickers/graphics off the fuel tank? I was thinking about painting mine this winter but don't know much about sand preping the tank....can u help?
It was a bitch! The vinyl is applied, then clear coated over. I basically had to cut around the decals, use a heat gun to peel them off, clean up the gooy mess, and then sand sand sand to feather everything out. The clear coat is laid on very heavy, so you are left with a consiberable "step" in the finish that must be sanded out. I used 320 then 600 grit. Thanks for all the compliments guys, I really appreciate it. I enjoy it when people post pictures of their bikes because it inspires me do customize my own. I only hope I can benefit somebody else by doing so. (and get some kudos along the way LOL)

Old 10-31-2005, 01:44 AM

Thats a sweet ride!.. I'm going to try to pick up a yellow 2006 next week, but I will have to go through allot after (permit, license etc). Its been years since I was on a bike.. Nothing like crashing a new bike .. My family has a bed and breakfast over in jackson and thats one of the places I was going to play around in. Just not in the turnes in the hills.. cops in jackson are money hungry too

Old 10-31-2005, 05:04 PM

Bike looks awesome.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, the tank decals are the worst. Sanding over the decals first helps in removing -- but you're right ... a crap load of clear coat over the beasties. I especially like the mirrors painted to match. Not sure exactly how much I'm gonna paint on mine. Gonna be blue with Telefonica decals but I'm thinking of leaving a lot of black. Might just have to try the mirrors though. Any special prep work to get the paint to stick good on the mirrors or just sand, prime and paint?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 AM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Ya, the tank decals are the worst. Sanding over the decals first helps in removing -- but you're right ... a crap load of clear coat over the beasties. I especially like the mirrors painted to match. Not sure exactly how much I'm gonna paint on mine. Gonna be blue with Telefonica decals but I'm thinking of leaving a lot of black. Might just have to try the mirrors though. Any special prep work to get the paint to stick good on the mirrors or just sand, prime and paint?
Yeah, thats pretty much it. Just sand the texture off. Infact, if you just prime it with heavy filler primer, you probably don't have to sand the texture off because the primer will fill it. It doesn't hurt to take 20 minutes and do it though, just incase. I took a chance not using adhesion promoter, since they're ABS plastic, but they came out great.