F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike feels slow

Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Default bike feels slow

My bike idles and runs fine mechanically and ive never had any starting, idling, or engine problems in general. But lately when ive been riding she just doesnt feel like she used to. It seems shes really struggling and working when i get on her between the 4-7k rpm range. She also sounds/whines like im a lot higher up in the rpm range than i actually am. Once i get past 7k she runs and pulls nicely. I know im in need of an oil change and i just checked the chain and it looks like it could use some lube. So ill probably do that within the next few days and probably run some seafoam through it to try and clean the injectors and everything. Does this sound like something that a little routine maintenance will clear up? I doubt its just a mental thing where im getting used to the bikes power so it doesnt feel as fast as i used to think it did. Im hoping its not an issue where ill need to start getting the cylinders tested and such. Anyone ever have a similar situation?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Do a full tune up and see where you are.

Air filter
Oil change and filter
Plugs
Lube chain
SeaFoam if ya want

That should clear it up. :0) if not, post back. We'll figure it out.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM

ah crap yeah i was gonna change the plugs a few weeks ago while i had the bike apart but i totally forgot. ill add that to the list

Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 PM

tune-up!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 AM

+1 on a tune up.....my bike after i got it running was a bag of crap, ran seafoam thru it on the old plugs, then changed the plugs, FPR and filter and it pulls harder than i can remember.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 AM

A tune up is always good, but try and find the source of the problem. It sounds like it could be a number of things, but our bikes are notorious for having FPR problems and that could be a place to start, if you haven't replaces yours already.

On a side note, is seafoam really okay to run through our bikes? I've always read that it was not a good idea to use additives in our fuel, but I'm all ears (or eyes really) if it is. Maybe its something I could try too.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM

How many miles on the plugs? $10 says its the plugs.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 AM

I couldnt tell you, i bought the bike last summer and put 1000 miles on her. Im at 12k now. I just ordered some new ones to be safe anyway though. i wanted to change them when i got it or at the beginning of this summer but she was running strong so i didnt really put much thought into them until now. The bike starts fine and idles fine its just a little sluggish and rough until i get to about 6-7k rpms then so i didnt really think the fpr was an issue. Its not cutting out on me or anything it just feels a little slower than it should. Ill order a new fpr if the plugs and everything else dont do the trick.

As for seafoam ive never heard of anything bad coming from running it through the bikes, i cant imagine why itd be any different than running it through a cars engine. Its advertised for use on motorcycles on the bottle and people i talk to who have put it through their bikes say it can be night and day afterwards. Just put in the proper amount when you use it and it wont hurt anything.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 PM

when asking on this forum and a couple of local forums, ive heard that you can foul out the plugs, hence the reason i ran it thru on my old plugs. other than fouling out the plugs ive heard nothing but good things and it sure made a hell of a difference in my bike. A mechanic at the dealer i take my bike to also said to put it in the crankcase oil to get rid of crap within the oil feed tubes and such when i do my tune ups.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Yeah, on cars you can put it in the gas, oil, and even suck a little up in the vacuum lines and it works wonders. I think im just gonna put a little in my gas tank for now though. The noise might be my cctl, ill take a video tomorrow and throw it up on here and get some feedback. It doesnt have that can of marbles sound or whatever everyone describes it as but it doesnt sound right so whatever, more opinions cant hurt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bike feels slow

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.