F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Feeling Weak. Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Feeling Weak. Clutch?

We've had a few nice days around here and I've had a couple chances to ride my '03. I'm a bit concerned about lack of power I'm feeling in the higher rpm's. It seems to me that beyond 9k the bike would take off like a rocket ship but lately it's been feeling a bit flat.

I feel like it could either be the clutch slipping or the bike is just getting old... It has 40K miles. I've really ragged the **** out of it so either option is plausible I suppose. The relatively sudden development of the issue has me leaning more towards the clutch though.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ragging the **** outta it is what it's built for! Girls love the rev limiter!!

Assuming it's not an obvious maintenance issue like old plugs, clogged air filter, dying FPR, etc...Have you checked the valve shim tolerances? worn out shims are most noticible at higher rpms. It's a PITA but higher milages bikes definately benefit from the process..

Bad batch of gas maybe??

A worn clutch tends to be more noticible in the lower torquier (is that a word?) rpms, EX: during a launch or hard shifting, the healthy clutch "bite" tends to feel too soft or even gone completely.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 03-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM

i dont think its the clutch either, i have been throughone and u will see the bike rev up and take a moment to take off, so i would say that is NOT ur prblem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sick has the right ideas and I would start there as well.
JDIZZEl good luck

Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM

check your air filter! My f3 had an old air filter in it and totally bogged down, replaced it and it ran like a champ. If you cannot see light through it easily, or it just looks dirty, replace it!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
check your air filter! My f3 had an old air filter in it and totally bogged down, replaced it and it ran like a champ. If you cannot see light through it easily, or it just looks dirty, replace it!
If it is a dirty air filter, and you don't see any tears. Just get a cleaning kit. They run around $10.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Ragging the **** outta it is what it's built for! Girls love the rev limiter!!

Assuming it's not an obvious maintenance issue like old plugs, clogged air filter, dying FPR, etc...Have you checked the valve shim tolerances? worn out shims are most noticible at higher rpms. It's a PITA but higher milages bikes definately benefit from the process..

Bad batch of gas maybe??

A worn clutch tends to be more noticible in the lower torquier (is that a word?) rpms, EX: during a launch or hard shifting, the healthy clutch "bite" tends to feel too soft or even gone completely.
Plugs are new. Last I checked the air filter was fine but I'll give it a look. I was hoping no one would say valves because it really is a PITA and I don't trust the dealership to do it right, let alone want to pay them. I've gone through several tanks of gas an it persists.

I haven't noticed any significant change in gas mileage so I'm not sure about the FPR.

I was just hoping it was the clutch because it's so easy to change lol. Looks like I'm going to have to get my hands dirty.

The bike is really overdue for some of the more involved maintenance (valves) but I've put it off because I got to reading a tutorial on here and they said to do it right you should sync the intake valves and I don't have the guages to do that. Others have said not to worry about syncing the intake but it would bug the hell out of me thinking I didn't do it right.

That is also why I'm not comfortable with the dealership doing it because I doubt they would sync the intake and that pisses me off.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of good picture writeups on shiming the valves on F4i's. It's pretty involved but with a little mechanical know-how it shouldnt be to hard to do. From what i've read syncing is not required, just prefered. Just make sure you RULE OUT ALL OTHER POSSIBILITIES before you tear into the motor. That's alot of work to find out it didnt fix the problem.

I keep telling myself when the time comes to re-shim valves, then it's also time to sell the old girl and get my 1000rr.

As far as filters go...
K&N filters are reuseable (can be cleaned via $10 kit).

Stock Filters are made of paper and can not be completely cleaned weather it be with water, soap or compressed air, without damaging the filter material.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Yeah I kinda feel the same way... Just wish I had money for that 1000rr lol.

I'm runnings a stock filter now and as far as I'm concerned they aren't to be cleaned. This could be my motivation to finally pick up that BMC though.

Maybe next oil change I'll tear down the clutch and see if it's within spec just for the hell of it.

I need to swap out my CCTL again too, it's getting very annoying.

It seems my cheaper-to-keep-her ol' F4i is going to end up costing me quite a bit this season lol.