F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike cuts off when turn signals go on...then bike goes haywire... Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike cuts off when turn signals go on...then bike goes haywire... Any advice?

OK guys, recently my bike cut off when I hit the turn signals. After that all lights were on and the fuel pump wasn't priming and it wouldn't run right. I had to hold the throttle up to get it running and then it would cut if I hit the turn signals.

I checked all fuses and they were fine. I pulled the headlight assembly and un-plugged/replugged the turn signal relay and bank angle sensor. I put it back together and it turned on fine and everything was normal. I rode for about 30 mins and after getting on it a few times then hitting the signal it killed it again. All fuses good again.

Does this mean one of the sensors is going bad or perhaps the connectors are getting jolted around too much while I'm riding? If I'm going to replace a switch which one should it be?

1) turn signal relay
2) bank angle sensor
3) relay (20a)

I could really use some advice on this because it's starting to **** me off.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM

sounds like a short in the wiring.
i would imagine that its probably in the signal area.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM

yea there might be a short. make sure nothings touching

Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its probably not the BAS. You can jump it out by taking a piece of wire and hooking it up to the plug that plugs into the BAS, hooking up the two outside wires with the "jumper" wire. Its probably a shorted wire somewhere, or could be the signal switch itself.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM

sounds like a really bad splice job if you ask me haha. if you have any splices double check them first and after that i'd check out the wiring harness on the front end of the bike. Check all the harness clips and look for anywhere where a mechanic or previous owner could have been dicking with the wiring. somethign similar happened to me where my headlights were shorting and blowing a fuse against my frame. if it's two worn wires touching then that will cause your problem. generally if it's blwing a fuse it's because it's touching the frame. like hangfire said look for places where the insulation could have been worn off the wires from being rubbed against something.