F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike cranks over, doesn't fire??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bike cranks over, doesn't fire??

So I'm havin this problem with the bike. I bought it earlier this year and I rode it all summer with no probs. About a couple of weeks ago i went to start it up like i always did, and it fired up no sweat. So as I was moving it out of my shed, it just cut out. So i thought it was weird and tried to restart it, but nothing. The bike will crank over, and it smells like there is fuel going into the bike it just wont ignite it. So here it is now just over a month and i'm finally looking at it trying to figure out the problem.

I installed a DDM Tuning HID kit back in May, plug and play, no splicing of wires so that can't be the problem because its still working fine. I've gone through the service manual, and tried to do the PGM-FI Self Diagnosis steps with a little bit of luck. I've noticed that with the service check connecter not jumpered, or normally open, if I turn the ign "on", then flick the eng stop switch to "Run" the fuel pump will prime, the FI light will come on and then turn off once its primed. However if I jumper the connecter, and repeat the process the FI light stays illuminated. So i looked into the table under "Stays lit" and the only option is gives me is faulty ECM yet a symptom is that the engine operates normally. I haven't pulled the plugs or anything ignition related becuase i'm hoping that its something else that I'm just missing. Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing my problem?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM
July 2010 ROTM

have u checked the bas, the bank angle sensor, aka tip sensor? unplug it and jump the 2 outside wired and if the bike starts then its your problem, u can elminate it by splicing those outside wires or just get another one.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be your plugs. Try the BAS, and then check the plugs. Since you smell gas it means your pump's working, however, it might be your injectors.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 AM

I'll definately try that today and let you know how i make out. I hope its not the injectors, i can't imagine all 4 of them going at once?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, not even going out, maybe spraying too much. It could even be a short in that part of the system, there's a couple things.

I'm just lucky that after a huge crash my engine and frame are fine, and she still runs.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Well i did a bit of deciphering of the wiring diagram for the bike, and from my understanding, if the BAS was actually the culprit, i wouldnt be even able to crank over the bike, which isn't the problem i'm having to begin with.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 PM

UPDATE: Was out pickin at it this afternoon, took the cowlings off and had a good look around inside. Didn't look like there was anything out of place. So i put the battery back in, attempted to crank it over a couple of times, but still sounds like it wants to fire up. So i read through the owners manual and it says to hold the throttle open fully and press the starter button for 5 secs to clear a flooded engine, which i'm thinkin it is. And sure enough, it fired up! Not for long before it died again but it appears that it doesn't stay running. Atleast now it proves that all the critical components (air/fuel/spark) are workin somewhat normal. I'll keep updating as i keep makin progress.