F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike chain through helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike chain through helmet?

I keep hearing people talk about not risking using the helmet lock on a bike. People will just cut the strap and walk away with your helmet they claim. I'd like to be able to leave my helmet on the bike at school, it's annoying to lug a helmet around to lectures. I had two thoughts about this, it's a 01 F4i so very little of the strap is exposed from under the seat but possibly put some kind of an armor plate over the strap that isn't easy to cut with a simple blade? It's only a section of about 1 inch that's exposed.

The other thought I had was to use the helmet lock like normal but also run a relatively thin bike chain, actually a cable, through the full face portion of the helmet and then to the frame or something. You could store the chain in the little trunk. It's a middle of the road helmet Icon Alliance SS (purposely bought so it wouldn't be so desirable to theives). Anyway has anyone tried the bike lock cable idea or other tricks to stop casual thieves that might park a bike next to yours and wander off with your helmet and only need a razor blade to do it?

Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Default RE: Bike chain through helmet?

I lock my helmet like that (cable through the helmet & frame) all the time. I've never had a problem with it. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. Anyone have any negative thoughts to it?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:43 PM

i dont really ever lock mine, id rather carry it. I dont want to take the chance of yea someone taking it or someone ****ing with it. i didnt spend the 300 bux so someone could **** it up or steal it so easily. which btw brings me to a question

if they do cut the strap like hwere do they get replacement straps or how do they rig it up?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM

I lock my helmet with a cable also (but usually not at school). So far, all good.

I would not trust using the helmet lock under the rear seat. Even with your amor plate theory, they could just lift up your face shield and cut further up.

I've never heard of anybody losing a helmet with a cable lock, but I have heard of people losing their helmets by cutting the straps.

I'm in the same situation as you. I hate lugging my helmet to class. Even though I have a cable lock, I still almost always take my helmet with me. College has to be the worst place for stolen motorcycles.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 AM

ORIGINAL: lifties

Even with your amor plate theory, they could just lift up your face shield and cut further up.
Heh. That's one of those slap yourself in the head moments. I hadn't even considered that they could just reach inside and cut it there, DUH!.

I bought a 6 foot cable lock that I think I'll wrap through the rear tire, frame and helmet. Should give a little more security to the bike as well I suppose.

Kevin

Old 07-25-2006, 07:11 AM

Don't ever use the helmet lock. I bought a $650 Arai and a month after I bought it I went to wendy's on my lunch break and used the helmet lock on the bike and I came outside and someone stole my helmet. I always carry my helmet with me now that was an expensive lesson..

Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Banned

Same dilemma, I always just take it with me, it gets too hot baking in the Florida sun.

A short bike cable lock would be good (do they make them retractable?), maybe that is what that ugly grab handle thing is good for on my bike, to loop the cable through and secure the helmet. But no lock is a safe as we'd like it.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM

i just take mine with me also. the good thing about this is that if you go into a air-conditioned area it seems like the foam in the helmet absourbs the cold air so when you step back out in the hot weather and you put on your helmet oh it feels nice for a few minutes until you can get your bike back into the high speeds on the roads.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 PM

**** that **** lazy *****. bring that **** inside with you. and plus. girls will see u carrying the helmet and thell be like "oh heyyyyyyyy you ride?? " then theyll say ohhh can i have a ride.... next thing u know the bitch is naked spread eagle on the couch screaming at you to ride the bitch..... but yeah.. to answer ur Q...just bring it in with ya =D....never know what might happen.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:28 PM

I don't think I want to walk around the gym carrying my helmet. It won't fit in the lockers and I trust it locked to the bike more than under the front desk that is generally unoccupied. Sometimes, locking is just necessary. With a lock through the helmet itself, I'm quite comfortable leaving it... then again, I didn't spend $600 for my helmet.

I wonder if anyone has thought about installing (or has installed) a braided metal strap in their helmet to serve to connect to the helmet lock... something in addition to the chin straps... just a thought...

Quick Reply: Bike chain through helmet?