F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Which Bike is Better for a "FIRST" Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Bike is Better for a "FIRST" Bike

Hi All,

I've been looking for a bike recently and decided to get a 2001-2003 Honda CBR 600 F4i.

The problem is finding one with a good price and not already sold.

This will be my first bike - I've taken the MSF class and passed with no problems. This bike will be my weekend toy only since I take my 3 1/2 year old daughter to school every morning before work and can't take the bike.

And now I found a few 03-04 Kawasaki ZX6R for about the same price as the F4i.

My Question is: Is the ZX6R too aggressive for a first bike?

FYI: I don't plan on doing anything crazy with the bike but wanted something "beginner friendly" but it has to be a 600cc.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Default RE: Which Bike is Better for a "FIRST" Bike

Everyone is going to tell you to get a ninja 250... I won't

In my opinion the zx6 is very uncomfortable... I really don't like it at all. My buddy has one and it would probably be the last bike i would buy.

Obviously you are speaking to a biased crowd here. I love my F4i, but in reality its all about you man, find someone who has one of each and take them for a spin.... or just go to the dealer and sit on it.

I don't think its too agressive. If it's a weekend toy then maybe its for you. I ride everyday to work and around town and through the twisties when i get the time so The F4i is much more comfortable for riding all the time.

The zx6 is a good bike and so is the F4i. It's all about personal preference. As for me, if i could do it over i'd get a 600RR

Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 AM

neither

Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: smakawhat

neither
Ok - but if you were too choose. Which one would you get and WHY.

Even though I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question but the answer "Neither" without an explanation doesn't really help me out too much other then I'm assuming your saying it's too big of a bike for a "First" Bike.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM

well you'd be correct on that assumption. I am not going to get into the reasons why cause you already know them, this is just a justification for you to get a bike that people say you shouldn't start on.

I am not the 250 or die crowd (although I'd get one in a heartbeart cause the new ones look amazing), but there's plenty of other choices.

you picked two bikes that are almost identical in terms of power and delivery (the Kawi there is a 636cc refered to back in the day as the cheater bike), it really comes down to how comfortable you are sitting on them, and then things like cosmetics. Are there differences, yeah but probably so unimportant to a new rider that you'll never discover the finneses of them cause you wont be riding it to its capability as a new rider, hell even as a somewhat experienced rider. THe Kawi you mention is far worse as a new bike than an f4i cause its a bit more powerful than the f4i. However, the vast majority of us just can't get all the bike has to offercause we don't spend days pushing the bikes to their limits in a good setting (which requires a track and some $$$ on the side).

So that's my answer the decision is still up to you, get gear (GOOD gear don't skimp) and wear it all the time.Also get into an MSF course if you haven't already.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

and yeah get the Honda..

Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM

f4i is faster than the kawi. haven't rode a kawi around twisties yet but i love the f4i around 'em...especially since i raised the rear sets

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you insist on starting on a 600, I say the F4i. Starting on something smaller tho will make a better rider out of you.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

i love my 02 f4i i think both bikes are about the same but i wouldtrust honda or yamaha over any other bike they just last alot longer ive only had my f4i for about a month and have put on 1200 miles all ready and had a 1007 yamaha yzf600r for my first bike

Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

if you insist on starting on a 600, I say the F4i. Starting on something smaller tho will make a better rider out of you.
Too Bad - I found a good deal on a 04 ZX6R w/ 7,500 miles. I think I'm going to go check out some this weekend and sit on a few to see how much different it is. Also as stated earlier by another member - I won't be pushing the bike to it's full potential so it comes down to a matter of preference and comfort - that's why I love the 01-03 F4i so much.

Thanks for the input. Yes - I'm really set on a 600. It's just going to be a weekend toy - I have too much responsibilty to do anything stupid on the bike.

I'm looking into getting the following gear but wan't to get the bike first. (Need to know what color to get to match the bike )

* Joe Rocket CBR Textile Jacket $180
* Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 Gloves $40
* Shoei RF-1000 Helmet $450
* Shoes/Boots = Not sure what brand/style to get yet?
* Pants = Thinking about getting some too - Not too comfortable wearing just jeans as a newbie.

Hopefully I'll find one before x-mas (01-03 F4i). I'm taking my time to make sure it's the bike I want because I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lkngood

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

Too Bad - I found a good deal on a 04 ZX6R w/ 7,500 miles. I think I'm going to go check out some this weekend and sit on a few to see how much different it is. Also as stated earlier by another member - I won't be pushing the bike to it's full potential so it comes down to a matter of preference and comfort - that's why I love the 01-03 F4i so much.

Thanks for the input. Yes - I'm really set on a 600. It's just going to be a weekend toy - I have too much responsibilty to do anything stupid on the bike.

I'm looking into getting the following gear but wan't to get the bike first. (Need to know what color to get to match the bike )

* Joe Rocket CBR Textile Jacket $180
* Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 Gloves $40
* Shoei RF-1000 Helmet $450
* Shoes/Boots = Not sure what brand/style to get yet?
* Pants = Thinking about getting some too - Not too comfortable wearing just jeans as a newbie.

Hopefully I'll find one before x-mas (01-03 F4i). I'm taking my time to make sure it's the bike I want because I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Thanks,
Mike
oh dont worry theres not a person on this board that can push a F4i to its limits lol.