F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Big day

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Believe or not, most sportsbike is equipped with slipper clutch...myths says if you use oil with additive such as moly, your clutch will slip? This myths been blown up causing honda's HP4M, M for moly, may have to repackage their bottles. Buy Honda racing still use these oil.....I've going on my second oil change with HP4M...

It's premature wear of clutch plates which cause clutch to slip, disengage...oil with additives being very slippery will only show a pre-existing problem if your clutch is worn in the first place.

Now if these type of oil used in 2 cycle, or dirt bike, then it's different story....if oil says it's for 4 cycle, with or without additives...you'll be fine...and buying a bottle that does not say that any additive added, does not mean there is none.

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
Friction modifiers may cause your clutch to slip. basically, aside from motorcycle oil, most multigrade motor oil for semi-trucks like Shell Rotella or Chev Delo...or Mobil something is good. Shell Rotella is rated as motorcycle oil too. Get the cheapest 15w-40 and you'll be good.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tchyclutch7
I also have to add that even though I have a repair manual I couldn't do this without this site so a big thanks to all you guys
I have to agree as well, I've read 100x more than I've posted. I too have done the same things you have done to your bike. Your right the repair manual doesn't always fill in every detail. Great to have some resources at your finger tips like... this forum.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Well the clutch was a piece of cake. The sprockets changed but the chain I haven't attempted to put the new one on but the old one is off. So for a first timer I'm a little slow but everything is getting done right the first time. Won't be able to finish until next Wednesday due to work. Keep everyone posted

Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM

What do you use to clean that film off of the chain? And what is a good grease to use for the chain

Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shop towel & wd40 to clean.
Any good quality chain lube/wax is sufficient; Honda, PJ1, Belray, etc.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Kerosene or wd-40 on a rag. For lube dupont teflon spray is a good one, I think lowes carries it for like $5 a can.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Ok so bike is all done. Changed everything and it runs like brand new. Sooo I went to do the shorty exhaust mod but didn't want to cut the exhaust and pipe so I took everything out of my two bros slip on. Fiberglass, wool wrapping and the center "baffle?". Put new rivets in and it sounds amazing. Under 6k it's a nice deep tone as soon as u go over that it just screams. So I'm confident people can hear me so hopefully I'll get cut off a lot less. But the bike stand makes everything easy and big thanks again to the site.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job. Very satisfying doing your own work/mods isn't it? :-)

Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM

Yup and a lot cheaper