CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Best gas mileage w/ pipe or without (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/best-gas-mileage-w-pipe-without-122134/)

tip38 03-08-2011 09:24 PM

Best gas mileage w/ pipe or without

Just picked up a 02 f4i for a commuter for back and forth to work......Its has the stock exhaust. I am wondering what I can do to get the best gas mileage as poss.

So does a bike get better mileage w/ or without a after market pipe?

Thanks

nickp123 03-08-2011 09:55 PM

it wont make a difference. If youre really worried about it and reaallly want to get the best mileage possible the only thing i can think of in terms of that would be to just get a pc3 and get it tuned and lean it out a little bit if youre only gonna be using it to commute and arent really gonna be getting on it. Even then i dont know how much of a difference that will make and its not really worth running the risk of detonating your engine. The safest option would be to drop a tooth or two in the back sprocket and lower the gearing so youre curising at a lower rpm on the highway. Leave the engine and exhaust stock and use regular octane fuel and you should get the best mileage possible out of your bike.

edit: maybe seafoam the bike to make sure the injectors and everything are clean and running as smooth as properly so theyre not robbing any power and efficiency from the engine

jp_greenville13 03-08-2011 10:17 PM

Trade that fuel injected bike to someone who rides for the pleasure of it and pick up a 99-00 F4. The carbed honda 600's actually get better fuel mileage than their early fuel injected counterparts. I get around 35 with my bike (if my memory serves correctly) and could get as much as fifty out of my 94 f2

boredandstroked 03-09-2011 04:35 AM

I get 50mpg out of my f4i if I go easy, 45 if I ride normal. Canyons and tracks is a whole different story.
Like said above, it won't make a difference between a stock and aftermarket slip on.

Seafordguy 03-09-2011 06:04 AM

[QUOTE=boredandstroked;1023271]I get 50mpg out of my f4i if I go easy, 45 if I ride normal. QUOTE]

Yep - Me Too.

Slick 6 03-09-2011 06:52 AM

Can't help you regarding the pipe, but some new plugs and a clean airfilter can help. Maybe a pc, but I doubt you'll find it cost effective for your riding.
As another member said, changing the sprockets will help lowering the revs but remember that it will throw your clocks off.

Check your fpr too, if you get very low mpg it may well be the culprit.

The best mpg control is in your right hand :icon_bike:

wizard 03-09-2011 11:13 AM

If you are trying to save money with MPG then spending $300 on a power commander will take an age to get any benifit,

If you want large MPG's by a small engine'd bike or a rev and go,

A mate of mine rides a f4i and gets 40 MPG but his daily commute is on a 125 and he gets around 80 mpg not as much fun but easier in traffic and he is not too bothered if it gets trashed in winter:icon_shrug:

Krux 03-10-2011 12:10 PM

Ya this bike is really thirsty. On my 94 F2 I got 55 MPG. I can't get anything better than 45 on this bike. I know a Ninja 250 I rode once got something crazy in the 60's.

G3NESYS 03-10-2011 02:37 PM

yea my f4i was getting low mileage, i cant remember exactly but it was like lower 30's per gallon. i just changed my air filter a week ago and finished changing my plugs last night, both of which were very dirty, so im hoping that will help improve my MPGs. either way my other vehicle is a 94 silverado, so im still getting 2 to 3 times the mpgs on the bike either way lol

The_Prince_NR 03-13-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13 (Post 1023199)
The carbed honda 600's actually get better fuel mileage than their early fuel injected counterparts. I get around 35 with my bike (if my memory serves correctly) and could get as much as fifty out of my 94 f2

how in the hell did you get that much out of your f2?!?! im not gettin nearly as much on mine

aslo if you do decide to take his advice haha ill trade you