CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Best after-ride touch up cleaner (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/best-after-ride-touch-up-cleaner-114922/)

600F4inoober 08-08-2010 01:06 AM

Best after-ride touch up cleaner

So I have searched and searched and it looks like there are quite a few preferences when it comes to a basic "wipe me down" cleaner after a ride. Now I understand everyone is not as anal as me, and that OCD with a motorcycle is a big no-no, but I was wondering what the best or most ideal all surface cleaner would be. Currently, I just use Windex over everything (windscreen, headlight, all plastics and metal tank..hell even the seats!) I understand that windex contains ammonia-d (well the one I use does) and that I should be careful, but it seems to work well with no side effects. I quess I am looking for a streak-less cleaner such as windex that is ideal on all surfaces (plastic, metal tank) rather than a degreaser or the such. Ive heard plexus and honda polish (same thing) work well on plastics but may be not ideal for the metal tank. Heard Pledge is good for plastics but I just feel weird spraying it on the metal tank (it seems like it would leave a residue also). Simple green seems too harsh for everyday use and on the metal tank...Think I should stick with windex and just get the non-ammonia-d stuff? What do you guys think is the best product for everyday use, streak and residue free, and works great on all surfaces? (plastics and metal tank) Ive got some Meguiar's Quick Mist & Wipe Detailer?

Edit: Ive narrowed it down to either pledge or ammonia-free windex...Is pledge ok for the paint and windscreen and headlight? It seems like it would leave an oily residue?

mad dog tannen 08-08-2010 01:44 AM

I like McGuiars spray detailer. I would not use windex on painted surfaces because it can strip off wax. Mothers also makes a good plastic/vinyl protectant/conditioner that works very well for black plastic parts.

PlayfulGod 08-08-2010 02:00 AM

I use McGuiars or Mothers instant detailer.

F4ith 08-08-2010 02:33 AM

You should give ProtectAll a try. I use that stuff on literally the entire bike except the chain. Seat, mirrors, fairings, EVERYTHING. It works GREAT for those tough greasy chain lube flings and bugs. Also CHEAPER then Plexus. It also lets me sleep a little easier at night because ProtectAll supposedly also "protects" the bike from UV and etc. I believe you can get a sample shipped to you for just a buck. That sample can supposedly clean an entire small car. This stuff works on cars, boats, bikes, literally anything. They have really good deals on their main page. Lol sounds like I'm marketing for them but I'm not trying to. It's just that great and I've only used up ONE can in one year. I gave Plexus a try and I personally don't like it for the price you pay. It's like 17 bucks specifically for fairings only. I also like Original Bike Spirits because of the price! It's like $6 at a Cyclegear and it leaves a smoother shine then ProtectAll. I also have that ocd you have. I clean her AT LEAST once a week.

"This versatile and economical product is perfect for the do-it-yourselfer or professional detailer to beautify and protect clear-coats, paint, aluminum, fiberglass, gelcoats, chrome, stainless steel, glass, vinyl, rubber, plastic and more. Protect All really does do it all" -From the main page.

http://www.protectall.com/searchresu...x?CategoryID=2

F4ith 08-08-2010 02:34 AM

The sample is also perfect to store in the seat!!

600F4inoober 08-08-2010 12:36 PM

Thanks Guise. F4ith I will def have to sample that ProtetAll. Do they carry it in stores and does it leave a residue like armorall? I think I will use up my Meguiar's Quick mist and spray detail for the time being, but does anyone have experiences or comments about ammonia-free windex or pledge?

F4ith 08-08-2010 02:22 PM

I've seen some stores carry the ProtectAll can for about $12 bucks but I've never seen a sample in stores. But it's still great to just buy two packs from the company because two samples ship free and each is just a buck. Perfect for those long distance road trips. The best deals are from their main website. It's like $20 for a big and small can shipped. No residue too. The directions on the can say if you see streaking, you've used too much lol.

600F4inoober 08-09-2010 02:03 PM

Anymore good experiences with an all in one streak free cleaner? Windex, Pledge, plexis etc...?

KdubyaH 08-09-2010 06:51 PM

Turtle Wax Ice. The reason I like it over the McGuires, Mothers etc is you can use it to shine up your plastic, paint, windscreen, and even your seats.

JOECBR600F4i 08-09-2010 08:32 PM

Meguiars or Cycle Gear Moto Pro Spray Cleaner and pollish. Tank get waxed with Meguirs about every 3 months or so in between. Sometimes more but usually a good coat every change of season.