F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Battery Tender Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery Tender Jr.

Actually noone has mentioned any battery related preventive maintenance yet... so I'll give it a go. Using a tool called a hydromometer, you can measure the specific gravity of the acid in the battery. This should technically be done every 6 months or so. Only ever add distilled water and/or the specific battery acid your battery calls for to adjust battery pH.

This isn't the most fun of service tasks in the book, since it involves chemistry and acid, and most people would rather buy something to fix the problem (battery tender, new battery, etc). But if you check the specific gravity of your battery every 6 months, you can theoretically get it to last as long as, say Stephens has observed above.

the blonde weasel

Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: blndweasel

Actually noone has mentioned any battery related preventive maintenance yet... so I'll give it a go. Using a tool called a hydromometer, you can measure the specific gravity of the acid in the battery. This should technically be done every 6 months or so. Only ever add distilled water and/or the specific battery acid your battery calls for to adjust battery pH.

This isn't the most fun of service tasks in the book, since it involves chemistry and acid, and most people would rather buy something to fix the problem (battery tender, new battery, etc). But if you check the specific gravity of your battery every 6 months, you can theoretically get it to last as long as, say Stephens has observed above.

the blonde weasel
That is only applicable to non-maintenance free batteries. A lot of of motorcycle batteries are sealed and you cannot check the water level because a water level doesn't exist So depending on what type of battery you have, this isn't necessary. The OEM battery is maintenance free according to the factory service manual (Section 16-1). I have aYuasa YST-10S which is also maintenance-free. Actually, I'm not sure I've seen a non-sealed motorcycle battery, but I'm sure they exist somewhere. So unless you switched out to a non-maintenance free battery, you do not have to worry about the water levels and checking with a hydrometer.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: MidnightG35X

ORIGINAL: blndweasel

the blonde weasel
That is only applicable to non-maintenance free batteries. A lot of of motorcycle batteries are sealed and you cannot check the water level because a water level doesn't exist So depending on what type of battery you have, this isn't necessary. The OEM battery is maintenance free according to the factory service manual (Section 16-1). I have aYuasa YST-10S which is also maintenance-free. Actually, I'm not sure I've seen a non-sealed motorcycle battery, but I'm sure they exist somewhere. So unless you switched out to a non-maintenance free battery, you do not have to worry about the water levels and checking with a hydrometer.
Yeah, there's a reason my battery cover is missing and the ECU barely fits under the seat. The previous owner of my bike was a mechanical GENIUS.

Good to know about the OEM battery. Running a sealed batt makes sense on a bike anyways. Less stuff to spill when you fall off the side of the mountain.