CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Battery or R/R or what? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/battery-r-r-what-136328/)

omg209 04-03-2012 06:22 PM

Battery or R/R or what?

so i did a battery check and my battery is within normal range above 12.3 volts.
i rev the bike to 5k but the voltage only goes to 13.9X as opposed to 15.5V as the manual says.

my question is why is the battery being undercharged?
also my bike has died twice on me before. i rode it and parked for about 5 to 10 mins at a time and when i went to start it, it was dead.
thanks in advance.

74demon 04-03-2012 06:26 PM

how old is the battery? have it load tested to see if it is capable of taking a charge.

omg209 04-03-2012 07:06 PM

not sure how old the battery is all i know it has been replaced from cycle gear. is there a place i can load test the battery?

svek 04-03-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by omg209 (Post 1146376)
so i did a battery check and my battery is within normal range above 12.3 volts.
i rev the bike to 5k but the voltage only goes to 13.9X as opposed to 15.5V as the manual says.

my question is why is the battery being undercharged?
also my bike has died twice on me before. i rode it and parked for about 5 to 10 mins at a time and when i went to start it, it was dead.
thanks in advance.

Do a full charge on your battery and follow this diagram: http://www.4strokes.com/tech/fault_find.pdf

13.9 is acceptable at 5,000 rpm. What is your voltage at idle?

omg209 04-03-2012 08:05 PM

i get above 13 about 13.7V average it goes up and down.
i tried to fully charge my battery but i think my battery does not hold the charge. i can charge it to maybe just above 13V and from there i test the voltage and see it drop. last i checked it was about 12.66 after about 3 mins.
so bad battery?

74demon 04-03-2012 08:17 PM

Take it to any auto repair or bike repair shop and have it load tested.

svek 04-03-2012 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by omg209 (Post 1146424)
i get above 13 about 13.7V average it goes up and down.
i tried to fully charge my battery but i think my battery does not hold the charge. i can charge it to maybe just above 13V and from there i test the voltage and see it drop. last i checked it was about 12.66 after about 3 mins.
so bad battery?

Prob your battery then. I have an Interstate battery just sitting around if you are interested. Their batteries are a little pricey but they last forever

omg209 04-03-2012 08:38 PM

thats ok, i will just ride with it until it causes me some real problems ahha. my bike has only died twice on me ever since i got it. the first time was because i left the headlights on a little too long. second time well not sure why it didnt want to start. all i kno is i can always push start. not really a big deal for me. i guess i am going to just ride it until i get the chance to trade in my old one for a new one at cycle gear.

omg209 04-07-2012 04:00 PM

ok so i got my new battery and charged it fully before going out for a ride.
i rev it to 5k but still do not get the 15.5V
i decide to ride it anyway and in the middle of the road my bike just dies. Cars were behind me, but i just walked it off to the side. Push started continued on my way and turn back. Rode for another few mins and the bike dies again!
since i got a new battery i do not believe that is the problem, if so then what is? r/r?
bike does not seem to charge while riding at all, but it does seem to charge a little while reving in neutral.

svek 04-07-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by omg209 (Post 1147533)
ok so i got my new battery and charged it fully before going out for a ride.
i rev it to 5k but still do not get the 15.5V
i decide to ride it anyway and in the middle of the road my bike just dies. Cars were behind me, but i just walked it off to the side. Push started continued on my way and turn back. Rode for another few mins and the bike dies again!
since i got a new battery i do not believe that is the problem, if so then what is? r/r?
bike does not seem to charge while riding at all, but it does seem to charge a little while reving in neutral.

15.5v is too high of a voltage and would damage your battery over time. You should follow that fault finding diagram, it will walk you through the testing of your entire charging system connection by connection from the engine through the stator, RR and battery...