CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Battery Problems (Not holding charge) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/battery-problems-not-holding-charge-96712/)

blkmz3 07-06-2009 11:27 AM

Battery Problems (Not holding charge)

Not sure if the previous owner never replaced the battery since it was bought but it all started after it drained during the winter. I had it charged using a battery trickler couple months ago. Over the 4th of July break I left it in the garage for 2 weeks and it wouldnt start again. Had to jump start it with the car.

Questions:

How long before replacing stock battery?

Can u manually pop the clutch and start the bike like a car going down a hill?

lonestarballa 07-06-2009 01:16 PM

Take the battery to go get tested you probally need a new one. and yea I had to pop the clutch to start it a few times. Just put it in third gear and pop the clutch once you get enough speed.

blkmz3 07-07-2009 09:14 AM

ive called a few places with all them charging over $100 for the YTZ10s. Any other recommendations for batteries.

Todd84 07-07-2009 10:25 AM

That is a good battery that is how much they cost. You can go to NAPA or some other auto store and get a cheap one have them cross referance it. The cheap one will make it one season with no problems. A battery tender will help in the winter. Make sure it is in 3rd to bump start it 1st and even 2nd can be hard to get it going.

gotcbr 07-07-2009 12:34 PM

If you're battery won't hold a charge at home, try taking to the shop for a free check. They'll charge it up & see if it'll hold a charge on the meter. If not, you'll know for sure.

Don't settle for a cheap battery just to save money. In the long run, you'll be doing yourself a favor by just getting a good one. It will last longer & give you better performance.

Interstate Batteries are good. Their CS is good...they'll tell you where to find what you need. They back up their batteries w/ good warranties as well.

Good luck.

teko1020 07-07-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by blkmz3 (Post 806503)
ive called a few places with all them charging over $100 for the YTZ10s. Any other recommendations for batteries.

Geez. I just had to buy one for the same issue and we have a company here that all they do is batteries of all kinds. Took mine in and the guy looked at it and in 30 seconds he came back from the back with a Hypercell YTZ10S. It only cost me $51 after tax. But I hope to hell you didn't start the car when you jumped it. When you do end up getting a new battery take a voltmeter to it with the key on and it should read around 13v, if its fully charged. Then start the bike with the meter still connected and rev it to around 2500-3000, and keep it there, and it should read around 14.5v... this way you know that its not your charging system and was just your battery.

blkmz3 07-07-2009 04:18 PM

i definitely started the car with the old battery to get it started. does it blow out a fuse? I'm about to install the new battery right now and will perform the things listed above with a voltmeter.

Here are a few more questions:

Where is the fuse for the stator? Color?
Should the battery read any voltage when not turned on?

UPDATE: I checked every fuse under the seat because I wasn't sure and none of them were blown.

teko1020 07-07-2009 05:21 PM

The battery should read around 13v when it isnt on. This would be a fully charged battery. But when jumping it with a car it is not a very good idea to start the car. The amperage put out from a car battery compared to a bike could destroy the bike. Leaving the car off while jumping a bike is enough to get her going.

CBRarrr 07-07-2009 06:45 PM

I have the same yz10 or whatever it is battery...mine is dead also. I went to walmart on my bike to replace it. Had to fill the new battery (which was a little taller) with acid after I bought it. It wouldn't start my bike. Apparently they only come charged 75% and I have to charge it to 100%. I had to return the battery and use my old one to pop the clutch and get home. In the process I mislocated the washers for the terminals and had to use stickers :icon_shrug: from starbucks to hold them on. Later on right before I get home they wiggled loose. I had to ask the cop sitting at a nearby gas station to stop traffic so I could make it up this big hill without getting caught at the light (in which case my bike would have stalled). It was a rough night, but I'm broke and certainly don't want to spend over $100 on a battery.

Anyone think the Walmart crap battery will work if I actually charge it. They only cost $55 as apposed to $100+.

blkmz3 07-07-2009 07:45 PM

UPDATE: I went to NTB to get the battery tested and they said it needs a recharge. So I went out and bought a battery tender/charger for bikes. I put it on for like 5 minutes and it says its charged which is total bs. I know if I put it back in the bike it will not start. I didn't put the new battery in yet because I want to know the battery is in fact the root cause.

How do I check if the stator is bad?

How do I check if the regulator/rectifier is bad?

this is really getting to me now. wtf.