CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Battery Issue (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/battery-issue-103498/)

CeeBeeAre600 11-24-2009 02:57 PM

Battery Issue

Need a little help diagnosing a battery issue. From time to time, my bike won't start, seemingly due to a dead battery. It's totally intermittant, meaning that sometimes it starts up no problem, and sometimes it won't start at all. I have a battery tender, which I hook up about once a week, but everything I've read says that I shouldn't even have to since I ride it almost everyday. My question is, are the symptoms more indicative of a bad battery, or of some sort of short or stator issue?

Seafordguy 11-24-2009 04:00 PM

How old is the battery? If it is more than 2 years old or so you might as well just replace it and start there. Take it to Autozone, they should be able to tell you if the battery is bad.

Incognito 11-24-2009 06:13 PM

Yeah, but make sure the battery connections are good & tight first.

Aken 11-24-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy (Post 859844)
How old is the battery? If it is more than 2 years old or so you might as well just replace it and start there. Take it to Autozone, they should be able to tell you if the battery is bad.

My battery is going on 5 years old and works perfectly fine. Replacing after two years is pointless.

It sounds like your battery doesn't hold a charge, or it isn't being recharged. There's a handful of threads on here to help diagnose electrical / charging issues. Search around.

CeeBeeAre600 11-24-2009 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy (Post 859844)

The battery is less than a year old.

Seafordguy 11-24-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 859901)
My battery is going on 5 years old and works perfectly fine. Replacing after two years is pointless.

It sounds like your battery doesn't hold a charge, or it isn't being recharged. There's a handful of threads on here to help diagnose electrical / charging issues. Search around.

I haven't had good luck with small batteries of this sort. It is certainly worth swinging through Advance and having them check it.

Originally Posted by CeeBeeAre600 (Post 859912)

Corroded terminals can also sometimes cause "weak" starting feeling.... It isn't unheard of for cells in batteries to go bad... start there since it is easy, and then work yourself backwards...

Incognito 11-24-2009 09:37 PM

Should still be under warranty. But if you're anything like me, you probably threw away the receipt, lol. j/k

CeeBeeAre600 11-25-2009 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy (Post 859915)
Corroded terminals can also sometimes cause "weak" starting feeling.... It isn't unheard of for cells in batteries to go bad... start there since it is easy, and then work yourself backwards...

Stupid as this question may be, if the terminals are corroded, which I remember seeing some, how do I clean/refresh them?

Should still be under warranty. But if you're anything like me, you probably threw away the receipt, lol. j/k
I keep everything, so I should have the receipt, it's just a matter of finding the thing!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll hopefully have some news soon.

Incognito 11-25-2009 04:02 AM

You can use a wire brush or steel wool (or similar) to clean it off. Afterwards, I'd apply a corrosion inhibitor (a little grease) to prevent it from developing again. I've also heard that taping a copper penny next to the terminal will attract the corrosives to it, rather than to the connection.