CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Bad Fuel (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/bad-fuel-121439/)

programit 02-20-2011 01:26 PM

Bad Fuel

Ok so yesterday I decided it was time to get my bike back out. I had a friend let me store it in his garage over winter (about 3 months now it's been stored). I went to start the bike and nothing happened. I immediately remembered I had unplugged the battery. So I hooked the battery back up and went to start the bike again and all I heard was a clicking sound from under the seat. I assumed the battery was dead so I hooked it up to a charger and let it sit over night. This morning I went back to start it and the bike sounds like it is turning over and I hear a sound coming from the exhaust like it is almost starting, but it won't start. When I stored it I forgot to add fuel stabilizer to the fuel. Do you think the reason the bike won't start is because of bad fuel? Or what else should I check when I go back?

backyardmechanic 02-20-2011 03:46 PM

you messed up with no stabilizer man. I assume the bike was not started through out the three months, was it at least topped off? if not you are looking at a gummed up fuel filter, regulator maybe hoses and if there was moisture that got in, possibly rust. other than that check fuses or bad wiring

Dragondima 02-20-2011 04:25 PM

Yea it's possibly bad gas, i just had a similar issue, but i was actually riding it, and the bike bogged down. I filled it with new fresh fuel and shuck it up a bit, to let it mix, and it fired right up. I wouldn't say that's what you should do, but since they've been adding ethanol 10% to gas, it's been giving a lot of motorcyclist a bunch of problems. Take off the tank and see what pours out of it.

programit 02-20-2011 05:32 PM

This is my first year owning a bike so I definitely made a mistake in the storing process. Unfortunately I did not top it off either. So I guess I'll start by removing the tank? And removing the old gas and maybe changing the filter. And then go from there? The bike is an 02 and the previous owner didn't keep records of any maintenance he did besides changing the oil so I should probably change the filter anyway. How hard is removing the tank and where do you suggest buying filters from?

G3NESYS 02-20-2011 09:03 PM

ive never did the stabilizer either. each year i just make sure that i fill it up with gas. i havent notice any problems, but i dont really know what to look for what checking the fuel filter or what kind of problems it would give me either so hopefully i havent done any damage. make sure i keep that in mind at the end of this season

backyardmechanic 02-20-2011 09:33 PM

the removal of the tank is not bad, its just 4 bolts and two hoses (i think maybe just one hose). Its the hose that goes on the clutch side to a little cylinder(the fuel regulator). I wouldnt worry about the fuel filter, i think its bad gas. Just buy a bottle of SEAFOAM and only add 1/4 of the bottle to the new tank of gas. Let it run through and hopefully that helps. But i would consider doing the fuel press reg and sparks if the bike wasnt running perfectly when you bought and rode it before storing it in winter.