F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bad fiberglass fit?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad fiberglass fit?

So I got my fiberglass upper fairing today, and wow, it fits like ***.

http://web.mit.edu/mattd/Public/fit.jpg

In that photo, the mirror screw holes are pretty much aligned, and the mounting screw goes through the (dark gray) ram air tubing cover. But the fiberglass sticks wayyy out from that gray plastic. Is it supposed to suck like that??

Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Bad fiberglass fit?

I've never had to deal with aftermarket fairings myself.

However I've also never talked to anybody that did who did not complain about the fit.

My guess is that unless you get OEM you are going to be doing some degree of fiddlin' around...and some of the threads I've read on this issue make me wonder how some of these aftermarket companies can stay in business...

Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 PM

that actually looks like it fits like ***. where did you get it? I would contact them about it with those pictures.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM

i got a upper fiberglass fairing from ebay and yea the fit sucks too

Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM

I contacted them and they didn't even say that I got a bad one. They just said that they rarely get fit complaints, and that I can return it for a 20% restocking fee. BS. Between shipping in both directions and the 20% fee, I'm paying $75 just to find out that they misrepresented their product in the eBay description.

The problem isn't just that it doesn't fit. It's that they said in the description it would be a "good alternative" to OEM, and it clearly isn't. I understand that fiberglass parts are hard to make. So don't make any claims about the quality that you can't back up.

If they don't take care of this properly I'll escalate as far as I need to (eBay policy violation, PayPal dispute, or small claims).

Seller is Rockwall Honda.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Retired Moderator

You have to be careful with aftermarket plastics. I hope you get what you need from those guys...that does not fit.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Alot of fiberglass is meant to be sanded (alot). But that looks way to thick for even that. Good luck, hope you get it resolved.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Users

yeah that fitment is terrible...i would expect maybe a slight gap meaning a couple of mm or so...but that is a TON...the finish doesn't look so hot either...it obviously needs a lot of sanding to smooth the thing out beyond that....

Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM

I have delt with allot of fairings as I do paintwork for all my track buddies. The ONLY aftermarket fairing I would use is sharkskinz, but you would prolly have to use thier lower too. OEM is best.
Im currently painting two well known replacement fairing sets and the fit sucks! The ones on ebay that are all painted and stickered up also have horrible fit.

I hope this helps some ppl out there thinking of buying those.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 AM

yea aftermarker plastic or fiberglass anything for bikes or cars usually are really had to try and get to fit properly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad fiberglass fit?