F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ape manual chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape manual chain tensioner

i installed an ape manual tensioner on my bike. i believe i installed it correctly as i was very careful during set up. bike has 6,500 miles on it. up until today it made what i would describe as a turbo sound while riding, NO rattling. it was basically like a wurrring sound, not very loud. today went riding and it started to rattle again, and i've decided to switch back to an oem and modify it so it hopefully wont produce the dreaded rattling. i dont want to hassle with adjusting the ape anymore. to the point...does it sound like the ape was installed correctly and nothing was damaged inside my engine (cam chain, chain tensioner itself, guides?), thus making the install of the oem tensioner okay. i've been reading tonight about overtightening the ape tensioner and the problems it causes. im hoping i didn't eff anything up. sorry about the ranting and thanks for the help!

PS anyone want an ape manual tensioner cheap? lol

Old 05-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ape manual chain tensioner

they are really simple to install after you do it once. Definately a bit confusing the first time. Finger tighten the bolt then start the bike if rattles tighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time until it stops. You will know if its too tight probably wont run if it does it wont run well.

You could also take the cam cover off not a long process at all, then take the cam chain guide off and check your slack should be 3/8 inch. Manual tensioner is the way to go you'll replace the stockers left and right