F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Anything like a +1 -2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything like a +1 -2?

I know that you can do a -1 +2 setup to help get more low end power, but does anyone offer something that takes a little bit of power away, but gives you a better cruising RPM? Something that might drop my 65 mph 6th gear down to like 4k rpm's, instead of being closer to 6k? Just curious if anyone has seen this. I'm not even sure if it's something I'd want to do if I could, but I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anything like a +1 -2?

ORIGINAL: krobberts

I know that you can do a -1 +2 setup to help get more low end power, but does anyone offer something that takes a little bit of power away, but gives you a better cruising RPM? Something that might drop my 65 mph 6th gear down to like 4k rpm's, instead of being closer to 6k? Just curious if anyone has seen this. I'm not even sure if it's something I'd want to do if I could, but I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this.
You would only want to do it if you are going out west to race the salt flats. If you think about where our bikes really make their power, 6krpms isnt in the power band yet.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM

+1 on playful's comment, out bikes like to run high anyways, but to answer your question, yes there is something you can do. Go down a tooth or two on the back sprocket. smaller sprocket = higher top speed, and by default, lower RPM's at X speed than before.

Edit: i just looked at your title more closely. i would NOT go UP in the front, it may cause rubbing issues, the front has limited space to work with. I don't know for sure if clearance will be an issue, but i wouldn't risk it, just mess with the rear.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 AM

I'm not planning on messing with it anyways, I really do enjoy the low end get up and go. I was just curious if there was something like this out there, and if it would help any for longer trips. Most of my riding is done in town so it wouldn't do me any good. I just happened to take my first long ride yesterday, and it really seemed like the bike could almost use an extra gear or something for cruising speed.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 PM

ya I wouldn't even mess with the sprockets just to drop your rpm's at cruising speed. I did it to see if I could get better gas mileage on my cummute to work. and off the line you have no *****, it's like your bike trys to flud it's self out. with fuel injection. and if your in the city you have to ride your rpm's higher because you have no torque, so ciry cruising you get really crappy gas mileage. so I just went back to stock sprockets. but you can try it if you want. hope that helps.