CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Anyone Mod Their OE Exhaust? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/anyone-mod-their-oe-exhaust-132646/)

Incompatible 11-30-2011 09:37 AM

Anyone Mod Their OE Exhaust?

Looking primarily for a little more volume. I'm wondering if it's possible to add a few additional perforations to the inner pipe (without taking the muffler apart) to increase the sound level.

nickp123 11-30-2011 11:22 AM

errrr well since thats pretty much physically impossible, no. If you want it louder just shorten it. If you know how to use a drill and a dremel/sawzall you can do it in like 2 hours.

gotcbr 11-30-2011 11:49 AM

Waste of time. Dump that heavy stocker & get something lighter w/ more flow.

HonDashi 11-30-2011 12:08 PM

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...iy-how-125858/

I'm pretty sure a few people here have tried cutting their stock exhaust and got some improvements.

Incompatible 11-30-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123 (Post 1116038)
errrr well since thats pretty much physically impossible, no. If you want it louder just shorten it. If you know how to use a drill and a dremel/sawzall you can do it in like 2 hours.

Actually it is possible, having done it with other mufflers. Adding additional perforations (slots) works best with mufflers which are open chamber designs as opposed to those packed with sound absorbtion material.

Agreed that cutting it down is not that difficult and haven't eliminated that as a possibility. It's simply a consideration of time and effort vs cost and results. Has anyone posted a DIY for an OE cut down?

Originally Posted by gotcbr (Post 1116047)
Waste of time. Dump that heavy stocker & get something lighter w/ more flow.

Sounds like the typical OE muffler. I haven't had it off the bike yet.

Doing my homework/collecting information at this point. I'm not in love with the OE look but it's not that bad either. I do think it would look better being a little shorter. Adding a few slots to the interior pipe is maybe a 15 minute job, not a lot of time wasted if it doesn't work. Trying to hold off of a new exhaust for a while but I had the "need" to do something to the bike. Something quick and easy has the appeal of not taking away from my limited fun ride time.

nickp123 11-30-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Incompatible (Post 1116051)
Actually it is possible, having done it with other mufflers.

Right, we know how it works and what itd do. But explain how youve drilled holes in the baffle of a muffler without taking the muffler apart or drilling straight through the muffler first and turning the whole thing into swiss cheese....not possible.

Sick97SS 11-30-2011 02:19 PM

gotcbr said it best. "Modding" the stocker is a waste of time.

Show her some love and get a nice pipe. THEN CHOP IT IN HALF! :icon_dopey:

John Cu 11-30-2011 04:16 PM

I mod the Stock muffler, the first time i cut it at the bottom weld and i removed all the crap inside and re-weld it. the second time i cutted like 9 inches an weld it again. I noticed with the stock size was louder.

Incompatible 12-01-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by nickp123 (Post 1116056)
Right, we know how it works and what itd do. But explain how youve drilled holes in the baffle of a muffler without taking the muffler apart or drilling straight through the muffler first and turning the whole thing into swiss cheese....not possible.

Noted! Next time I attempt to perform the "not possible" I will refer to your expertise. Thank you for your sage advice.

Xander F4i 12-05-2011 03:27 PM

I cut a stock pipe down enough to have it the same on both sides of the mount, and then had a local place that welds stainless put it back together for me. It may not be the prettiest, but I still love the new sound. Quiet enough at idle to not wake the whole town on start up, but still screams at the top end. Plus I don't have to walk around the muffler if i walk behind the bike.