F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Anyone ever buy aftermarket tails?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever buy aftermarket tails?

I was just curious due to everyone talking about these crotch cracks... and they seem to happen no matter what. Im in need of a tail so I can finish my bike up I found these tails on ebay, they come however you want them to look.

Just wanted to get some feedback before I bought. Plus side its made out of abs not fiberglass so that makes me feel better.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a chinese knock off, no better than the OEM if not worse. And actually fiberglass is stronger, OEM's are ABS too.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
that is a chinese knock off, no better than the OEM if not worse. And actually fiberglass is stronger, OEM's are ABS too.
I didn't mean I thought it was stronger.. fiberglass doesn't give and one wrong move and you got spider cracks.. thats what I was meaning id rather stay away from that. But would it be better to buy a used oem with cracks or potential or a new china tail? Thats what im trying to decide. And these come pre colored.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
I didn't mean I thought it was stronger.. fiberglass doesn't give and one wrong move and you got spider cracks.. thats what I was meaning id rather stay away from that. But would it be better to buy a used oem with cracks or potential or a new china tail? Thats what im trying to decide. And these come pre colored.
What I read from ppl who have bought the chinese plastics said the mounting holes didnt always line up etc. Some have said they were even thinner than OEM. But for the price, they are kinda hard to beat. Personally I would get a used OEM and paint it to match my bike or a new OEM already painted.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM

I have heard a lot of people who are very happy with their Hong Kong fairings. Usually what I have heard is the holes are too small for mounting and they need to be drilled out a bit. But that way you can also modify fit a bit too.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
just food for thought but idk how hard or flexible that abs plastic is but have you ever had to remove your tail piece? I have had to take mine on and off a few time the past week and idk if a stiff abs plastic tail would be albe to handle it you need something flexible because taking it on and off requires come pulling and pushing and tweaking and hard plastic may crack.....

Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Spider cracks are the PAINT! It's PAINT that is being flexed and cracking. The material under it won't matter, it could be a blanket. Unless you've got magically flexible paint, it's fairly likely to happen if you put any sort of mileage on your bike.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
Spider cracks are the PAINT! It's PAINT that is being flexed and cracking. The material under it won't matter, it could be a blanket. Unless you've got magically flexible paint, it's fairly likely to happen if you put any sort of mileage on your bike.
Its called flex agent and urethene . But even then if the clearcoat has been layed on too thick it can still crack. And of course if its been flexed to much.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/prodhon.htm

i had a set of these on my f3. not a bad product just need to drill mounting holes.they pretty much have body work for all makes and models.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
Your reading down too far and not looking at the first post. I was saying fiberglass spider cracks if you flex it too hard. But anyways pulled the plastic off of my bike currently and the crack is clear thru about 2 inches long.

Ive been quoted 175 to repair it without paint. And paint for 30-40.
-----Which could crack again?
Or buy a new china plastic already painted for 220.
Or find a alternative American plastic dealer.

Thats what im faced with at this moment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever buy aftermarket tails?