F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Anyone done much performance work to there bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone done much performance work to there bikes?

Woke this one up from the dead, didnt ya!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

I guess I don't quite understand it.

You get a 600 because they rock in the twisties. Compare a 600 to a 1000 on a twisty backroad and it is the rider that will win it every time.

If you like going fast in a straight line, then get a Superbike or Hypersport. Go ahead and dump a couple grand into a 600, take it to the track and get schooled by a rider who has a lowered and geared 1000 that cost him less than all the mods to your bike. BTW, I forgot to mention that after you have modded the hell out of your 600 you can no longer ride it ont he street because it scrapes on every speed bump and overheats if you stand still for longer than 30 seconds. Now once you are pissed at your bike.....go ahead and try to sell it. See who wants to pay for your "project" bike.

Its your money do what you want. Just make sure you know what you are trying to do.

For me, I will stick with mild mods and spend most of my money on tires, tracktime, and replacing knee sliders.
whats gonna make the bike overheat? the turbo wont its not make the bike overheat. while under boost it will make it run just a little higher but all u need is a radiator upgrade if you want. i wouldnt lower my bike unless i was extending it. in my opinion lowering is stupid cuz the rear can be lowered more then the front cuz after 20mm you throw the front suspension off.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:51 PM

Have you ever seen ANY turbo vehicle (even intercooled) NOT run hotter than an equivalent N/A?

You are adding backpressure to the exhauast. This reduces volumetric efficiency when not under boost. This is turn makes the engine less efficient AND keeps more residual heat in the engine.

As to if it "boils over" that I can't answer because I don't now, nor ever will have a turbo F4i.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Have you ever seen ANY turbo vehicle (even intercooled) NOT run hotter than an equivalent N/A?

You are adding backpressure to the exhauast. This reduces volumetric efficiency when not under boost. This is turn makes the engine less efficient AND keeps more residual heat in the engine.

As to if it "boils over" that I can't answer because I don't now, nor ever will have a turbo F4i.
hey ur talking to the wrong person about turbo cars. i have 96 tsi awd, 98 eclipse gst, and 89 turbo supra. they all have intercoolers wow. actually when the car runs with vacum the car runs cooler i have logs onmy laptop from my car.its only when under boost it gets hotter. my car runscooler and has a colder thermastat than any na versons of my cars. the intercooler actually keeps the air cooler when under vacum while drivin.i have many hours building tuning and boostin cars. and when you have a bigger exhaust pipe that will increase volumetric efficiency. turbos are very effiecient because the turbine pulls the exhaust out and pushes it out faster than any other na engine can. thats why u need a bigger exhaust. turbos when under vacum will not make any more heat than the exhaust puts out. so you will not over heat. the only reasons some turbo cars overheat is becasue they do not have a properly size front mount which people put huge ones on and they block all there radiator air.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM

Dude, I am not going to get into a internet pissing match with you, but you have some serious misconceptions about turbos.

1. Buying factory turbo cars does not make you a turbo expert. Rebuilding a factory turbo engine with fancy parts also does not make you an expert.
2. The car does run cooler at idle than under boost.....however AS I STATED it runs hotter than it would WITHOUT a turbo. Running a colder thermostat would explain why your car runs cooler.
3. A bigger exhaust pipe will not increase VE.
4. A turbo does not PULL exhaust out of the engine. PULL would indicate that the turbo is causing vacuum in the exhaust manifold. In a turbo motor even at idle the exhaust pressure in the exhaust manifold is greater than the pressure in the downpipe. In fact under boost most street turbo systems have an exhaust manifold pressure of several times what the boost pressure made by the turbo.
5. Even with a 100% efficient charge air cooler (intercooler) you cannot reduce the intake air temp lower than ambient temp. This means that NO MATTER WHAT it is pushing hotter air into the engine than the same motor without a turbo.
6. Cooling systems on small engines are already taxed. Increasing heat in the engine (anything that increases power increases heat) limits the safety margin of the cooling system.

Believe what you want to believe. What I posted above applies to 99% of street turbo systems. Nitromethane and Alcohol fueled cars run under different rules.

Lastly. If you want to prove me wrong. Your turbo F4i and idle it next to a stock F4i in traffic. Which one runs cooler.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:37 AM

Dude, I am not going to get into a internet pissing match with you, but you have some serious misconceptions about turbos.

1. Buying factory turbo cars does not make you a turbo expert. Rebuilding a factory turbo engine with fancy parts also does not make you an expert.
2. The car does run cooler at idle than under boost.....however AS I STATED it runs hotter than it would WITHOUT a turbo. Running a colder thermostat would explain why your car runs cooler.
3. A bigger exhaust pipe will not increase VE.
4. A turbo does not PULL exhaust out of the engine. PULL would indicate that the turbo is causing vacuum in the exhaust manifold. In a turbo motor even at idle the exhaust pressure in the exhaust manifold is greater than the pressure in the downpipe. In fact under boost most street turbo systems have an exhaust manifold pressure of several times what the boost pressure made by the turbo.
5. Even with a 100% efficient charge air cooler (intercooler) you cannot reduce the intake air temp lower than ambient temp. This means that NO MATTER WHAT it is pushing hotter air into the engine than the same motor without a turbo.
6. Cooling systems on small engines are already taxed. Increasing heat in the engine (anything that increases power increases heat) limits the safety margin of the cooling system.

Believe what you want to believe. What I posted above applies to 99% of street turbo systems. Nitromethane and Alcohol fueled cars run under different rules.

Lastly. If you want to prove me wrong. Your turbo F4i and idle it next to a stock F4i in traffic. Which one runs cooler.
hey im not gonna eitehr but im telling you by all my logs that my car runs cooler at idle than a NA version the car comes with a colder thermasta because they wanna make sure your car runs cooler with a turbo. ive also logged ambiet air versusafter it goes through my intercooler and guess what on a 90 degree day while under vacum the temps around 78 degrees but hey you know everything. thefirst thing that any person that knows anything about real life turbochargingwill tell youstraight out theory isnt always right with turbos. go to dsmtuners.com and askanyone of the wisemen. oh yeah for ur info i just dont buy turbo cars that come with them stock. i have installed and built my own systems for 2 supras, a civic, a non turbo talon. thats not including any of my cars. tuning and doin machine work and porting and polishing are not buying stock cars or partsoff the shelf. whenyouve built a turbocar and tuned it and watched a lot of funky things in ur logging, cuz theory always dont work. thereslotsof variables that are differnet in every car even if its the same exact car. but hey im done about this, i have plenty expience and thats all that matters.