F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Any F4i crew peeps have HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any F4i crew peeps have HID lights?

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

ORIGINAL: alekinci

thirdgenlxi, i see you running a lot of miles. how many tires sets did you go through?
your bike looks clean, did you have any booboos with it?
Thanks! Honestly I've lost track on how many rear tires I've got through. If I had to guess, probably 11 or 12 rears, and I think 4 or 5 fronts. My rear is worn now so I've gotta go get a new one, probably next weekend. There's soo much crap on the roads down here (debris central!!) that a few of them have died prematurely due to punctures, but I usually get about 10k out of a rear, and 25k or so out of a front. As for booboos, she's had a few. Worst one was when I went down on the highway back in 2005, did about $6000 damage. Other than than the subframe snapping in half and the front upper fairing stay coming out in 3 pieces, the rest was all cosmetic. Got it all fixed up, and then about 2 months ago I got rear ended by an 88 year old in a brand new Benz. Didn't do too much damage though, went down on the right side. But his insurance took care of everything, got me a new: front upper fairing, front fender, RF signal, RH bar end, front brake lever, right fairing, rear brake lever, both front brake rotors, and a new Hindle titanium pipe (I had an aluminum one on there before, but I knew the tech at the dealer fixing it, so he hooked me up). It all worked out in the end...

i'm coming up on my 15k service. do you do them?

Old 05-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

I have the 6000k in my low beam with silverstar high beam. I just swapped out the bulb for the HID bulb/ballast setup. It works fine, may be a little blinding for other drivers, but I haven't gotten flashed yet and I've had them for over a year.

The best way to do this, and of course the most costly, will have you replacing the projector/reflectors. The light on my bike is a little sloppy when compared to my S2000. The other thing to consider is a cooler temp below 6000k. I think I read that 3500k puts out the most usable light, but it is less 'blue'.

good luck.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM

definately going to get some HIDS when i get a little spare cash.. did you all do your like the right up in the how-to section? or is there a better place to but the ballasts/ignitors on our bikes than the rr's?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 AM

I've got 4300k on mine, same color as the factory BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes cars use. I was going to do a proper retrofit (HID projectors) but honestly it takes a lot of time and work so I just put in a plug and play kit. I run with my highs on during the day and at night I keep them off. The first night I put them in I went for a 10 minute loop around my house and got high beamed by three different cars. It's so tempting to keep them on though, I can light up signs at night from half a mile away!

Old 05-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Do the HID make more heat then the regular bulb? Is there a problem with heat dissipation ?
If not, what is the reason for replacing the whole reflector body?
Can anybody post a pic of the HID bulb?Is itsimilar phisically tothe std. bulb?
Thanks,
Eyal.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:04 PM

thirdgenlxi, dude your bike looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. I dont know how you do it. Looks good and good job on the split seat conversion.

Eyaltt1, the HID do tend to make the bulbs much more hotter. The base of the H7 of the HID kits is exactly the same as the standard H7 halogen bulb. Dont worry about heat produced by the bulbs, the HID kit provides you with wires that are dense enough not to melt as you ride.
The Bulbs head look different, the base is identical.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM

Thanks Aleki,
It's not the wires I'm concerned about, I'ts the reflector getting heated up and getting blue or fading after a few month \ years..[:@]
What is the advantage of the HID reflector house?[X(]
Thanks for the answer,,
Eyal.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM

HIDs ftw! I got 10,000K's. Definately worth the investment. I've only been flashed a handful of times, but I think it's because people didn't realize it was a motorcycle at night cruising along. And highbeam on at night is definately killer lol. I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for my friend to catch up, not even moving, and this guy approaching was flashing me, and slowed wayyyy down to like 20 under the speed limit, lol.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Eyaltt1, I think you are concerned with having the headlight housing heating up and melting the glue and silicon in the lense, am I right?
If thats the case then I am telling you not to worry. The headlight housing is design to withstand grand amount of heat. The lense is just mirrors and they dont heat up at all. The silicon that holds the lense together will start to break apart after 130oC. However, the lense will never get to that stage of extreme heat. Unless your bike is already on fire.
As far as for fading. I have HID on a car and many friends with HIDs on the bikes and its impossible to tell weither it did faded out at all after 3 years because its just so bright.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Here is my writeup on the HID's. Do a projector, it's way better, and costs less than some of the kits.

https://cbrforum.com/m_503775/mpage_.../tm.htm#504930