F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

another f4i wont start.. any ideas?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Default another f4i wont start.. any ideas?

Alright guys. I put my bike away for the winter and went to get it out but it wont start. Before I put it away it was bogging down a little when I would take off but nothing crazy bad. It was spitting a tiny bit of gas out the exhaust as well.I thought it was the fpr but its not. Like I said I got it back out but I checked the fpr and it is just fine. I changed the plugs and checked the spark and it sparks just fine. It turns over but just wont start. I tried to get it to start with starter fluid to see if it would at least fire over once (to see if it could be fuel related) but nothing. My CCTL had been ticking over the summer but I could not imagine it would be bad enough to stop it. I checked out the valves with a camera and they looked like they were seated just fine, and I did not see any serious marks on the cylinder heads. Do you guys have any idea what is going on? I am about to take it to the motorcycle shop down the road but I really dont want to have someone do something I can do just fine. Thanks in advanced.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Are you trying to start it with the headlights removed?

Does the fuel pump prime?

Need more info.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM

its a 2001. headlights are in it and i can hear it prime just fine. I am totally stumped. the starter fluid went all the way through and did not ignite for some reason. You could see some of it come out of the exhaust when you were cranking it over. (as a vapor not liquid) So I know the valves were opening and getting air it. I dont know what other info I can give. kickstand was down but I have tried it up. its in neutral so it was not a squid thing. I dont to wheelies or anything so I am sure it is not the angle sensor. I have tested all 4 coils to make sure they spark on all 4 wires. They have all sparked I have seen it. I just cant think why it wont start if it sparks and has fuel (proven by the starter fluid). I have not done a compression test yet because I do not have a testor, but I cant believe something would have gone wrong over the winter that would be something huge like a ring or something...
I am missing all this fantastic riding weather

EDIT: I do not have an error code. I have not done anything to it aftermarket wise or anything. I kept up on the normal tuneups and oil changes. I have only had the bike for about 5k miles and got it in april.

Last edited by karl10250; 03-25-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM

air filter clogged?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM

No. I ended up messing with it some more and got it to start. I am not sure what the issue was. I unplugged most the sensors I could see and made sure the connections were clean (which they were). Then I reset the bank sensor and was able to get it to fire with starting fluid after some fighting. Put it all back together and threw the airbox and tank on and fought with it and got it to start . It did not want to keep running when i would get it to start so I had to rev it some to keep it alive but after 10 seconds or so it started to hold its own and ran like normal. It seemed to have a ton of carbon build up because I cheaped out on plugs in the summer and went with coppers because I did not have the money at the time... but once it blew out a lot of the carbon build up she ran better then she has since I got her. Super responsive and no issues that we could see. if anyone is reading this in the future and is having similar issues try to reset your bank sensor by doing the following:
turning the key on, flip the kill switch to run then off 3 times, turn the key off. repeat till you have done it 3 times.

ALSO DONT CHEAP OUT ON PLUGS.
Lets hope I dont see any problems again for a while.