CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Am I the only one? Pegs keep scraping (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/am-i-only-one-pegs-keep-scraping-95133/)

boredandstroked 06-09-2009 10:24 AM

Am I the only one? Pegs keep scraping

This started when I was riding two up. Going threw turns I was throwing sparks from the feeler tips on my pegs hitting the ground. I thought it was because I couldn't get off the bike enough with a passengers arm in the way holding onto the tank. Problem is I do it all the time by myself now too, and Im as far off the bike as I can get. I broke both the stock pegs off and had to get some bolts to replace them. The bolts aren't breaking but the right side one [its a little longer so I don't hit my muffler, that would be no fun] did bend last time it touched down. My only real complaint with this is how much it can upset the bike if Im not thinking about it and/or weighting my inside foot too much.

Am I the only one with this problem? Will rearsets help at all?

some guy #2 06-09-2009 10:27 AM

...Yes

Hangfire 06-09-2009 01:42 PM

If you really are hanging off AND keeping the bike more upright while you do it and your still scraping that bad, I'd start checking to make sure your bike hasn't been lowered at some point in the past to accommodate a shorter rider/owner. Dropping the bike at all is about the surest way to restrict cornering clearance. You know if it's been lowered?

For what it's worth I can kneedrag on mine without scraping anything, though my suspension is set really stiff. That's the other thing you can check, your preload and suspension settings. If they are cranked all the way to MIN with the preloads all backed off (maybe someone wanted a soft ride) that might be adding to your problem.

purpleslug 06-09-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 795302)
This started when I was riding two up. Going threw turns I was throwing sparks from the feeler tips on my pegs hitting the ground. I thought it was because I couldn't get off the bike enough with a passengers arm in the way holding onto the tank. Problem is I do it all the time by myself now too, and Im as far off the bike as I can get. I broke both the stock pegs off and had to get some bolts to replace them. The bolts aren't breaking but the right side one [its a little longer so I don't hit my muffler, that would be no fun] did bend last time it touched down. My only real complaint with this is how much it can upset the bike if Im not thinking about it and/or weighting my inside foot too much.

Am I the only one with this problem? Will rearsets help at all?

you need to tune your suspension to your weight and yes rearsets will help the problem. i know on the rear you dont want the bike to travel more then 36mm from when its fully extened to when you sit on the bike in a normal positon. i for got the front i will go look at my notes from when i tuned mine in last and let you know.

chainstretcher 06-09-2009 03:07 PM

Think some of you guys missed the "two up" part. It will be damn near impossible to get your suspension right for 2 up riding. Rear sets will help and I believe on some models you can mod the existing stuff to get the pegs up and back a little. There's a how-to here on that somewhere.

In the meantime I suggest a couple things:

1) girlfriend needs to lose some weight :icon_teeth: (but you gotta be the one to tell her)
2) stiffen up your front and rear preload before riding 2 up. A couple turns on the front and 2 notches on the back to start ... if still too squishy then a couple more. This will make the bike really jumpy without the extra weight so you gotta be careful by yourself. Really stiff suspension will bounce your ass in the ditch real fast.

Good luck!

Aken 06-09-2009 04:05 PM

I rarely scrape pegs when riding two-up. And if I get close, my toe scrapes first so I know where it's at. Either you're riding all crazy like, or your bike is lowered.

purpleslug 06-09-2009 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher (Post 795422)
Think some of you guys missed the "two up" part. It will be damn near impossible to get your suspension right for 2 up riding. Rear sets will help and I believe on some models you can mod the existing stuff to get the pegs up and back a little. There's a how-to here on that somewhere.

In the meantime I suggest a couple things:

1) girlfriend needs to lose some weight :icon_teeth: (but you gotta be the one to tell her)
2) stiffen up your front and rear preload before riding 2 up. A couple turns on the front and 2 notches on the back to start ... if still too squishy then a couple more. This will make the bike really jumpy without the extra weight so you gotta be careful by yourself. Really stiff suspension will bounce your ass in the ditch real fast.

Good luck!

My stock springs are all most all maxed out on my bike and i weigh 198 lbs. so putting to people on your bike well i know thats well over 200 lbs so just tell her to get a bike lol or go buy new springs front and rear for your bike i know fronts are about $100 each give or take $20 never checked rear because its good for me till i get to about 220-230 lbs.

boredandstroked 06-11-2009 01:33 AM

I've had the bike since new, I worked at the dealership. It is not lowerd. I scrape by myself, not just with a passenger. The girlfriend does not need to loose weight and she has her own R6 to ride. I think I'll focus on suspension setup and body position a little more before I fork over big money for rearsets.

Aken 06-11-2009 02:32 AM

Yeah, scraping pegs should be a rare event. Two-up it's understandable because you don't have the lower center of gravity, but by yourself it should happen very infrequently.

By saying you're as far off the bike as you can get, no offense here but I doubt it.

Have you ever done any track days? You should if you're serious about wanting to push some limits on your bike. And it'll help with the scraping :)

VTcbr 06-11-2009 02:59 AM

How much does your Girlfriend weigh?

no offense pal but that's probably the problem.