CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Almost at my finished product (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/almost-my-finished-product-114861/)

600F4inoober 08-06-2010 12:06 PM

Almost at my finished product

6 Attachment(s)
Hey my main mayngs,

Let me preface this post with saying that I am notorious for posting scatterbrained posts with numerous questions embedded, so much that I am sure you mayngs are confused on what to answer. So bare with me and I have highlighted actual questions.

My first bike and 2nd love of my life is coming along quite nicely. If you have read my noob posts for the past few months since I joined, then you may know how things have progressed with the bike. I purchased the bike months ago in this condition (pic below)..It had no doubt been sitting for most of its life and only had 7600 miles on it for a 2001! The major issues were a bent rim, horrible tires and large pushed in dent in the radiator behind the front wheel. For $3000 I snatched it up. The bike has never had any cooling issues, and the dent did not ever show signs of leakage so I didn’t mess with it.

Attachment 54326
Attachment 54327
Attachment 54328

To date I have done the following to resurrect her from her 5lb 8oz sweet baby Jesus grave.

Cosmetic
-Brand new OEM rims (never used, craigslist – got lucky) and brand new pilot power tires
-Carbon Fiber bootleg slip on
-Clear double bubble zero gravity windscreen
-Smoked Hotbodies Flushmounts wired to run as daytime running lights
-Ram Air resonator delete (dyno-tested; good for 18.789hp at the rear wheel)
-Tech Spec custom grip padding

Mechanical
-Oil change-Mobile 1 MT40 and K&N Filter
-Brake bleed/flush (fronts and back) and refill with Galfer Fluid
-Replaced to updated OEM Automatic CCTL (Version J24) WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks Axsys for the help.
-Complete degrease of sprocket and countersproket housing (CAKED with chit-prolly had never been done)
-Cleaned/Lubed and adjusted stock chain
-Battery replaced

The only things left that I would like to do are:
-Werkes Competition Undertail/Fender eliminator
-DDM Tuning HIDs (35W H7 8000k)
-In the next 3k…replace sprokets and chain

So basically, and let me know if I am missing something here, I have replaced all fluid and dealt with all common mechanical issues and maintenance EXCEPT for the coolant!

I have never had an issue with the cooling system of this bike. I live in Arizona and even when its 110 everyday, I can still cruise 190 which I think is great considering the environment/degree of air cooling the radiator. On a colder night I can cruise at 180 no prob. Of course at stop lights and traffic I will be riding around at 215 but the fan kicks in every time at 220 on the dot and I have never seen above 229. Needless to say, the cooling system works great. Now in these situations, I have always been one to not fix it if its not broken! But the fact that the coolant is most definitely 9 years old and the factory coolant doesn’t give me butterflies in my tummy, skittles nor rainbows or care bears. And now after my ramble, would YOU change it? After 9 years I am sure the cooling system has gotten accustom to the existing coolant, and I wouldn’t want to get in-between their strong friendship. On the other hand…this coolant has to be tired.

Quick questions: If you would change it, after flushing with water, would you refill with only distilled water? Would you use any 50/50 mix of silicate free antifreeze? Or the third option, and the one I’m leaning towards, mostly distilled water, a tad of coolant and a couple caps of water wetter..?

When draining/flushing, I am not going to take the hoses off as it seems more work than is necessary, I am going to drain from the water pump bolt and refill with water and run the bike/pump NUMEROUS times and drain the bolt to get as much old liquid out as possible. Is the bolt I want the lowest bolt or the 2nd lowest bolt towards the rear? Pictures I have seen show the 2nd lowest bolt towards to rear but that is not the lowest bolt? So im confused.. Also, would it be ok to open the cap, unscrew the water pump bolt, let drain, fill the radiator while running the bike and letting everything circulate and drain out of the bolt all while keeping the radiator topped off? Kind of like a literal flush. The only issue I see with this is if the pressure would SPRAY the liquid out of the water pump bolt?! When finished, I would no doubt fill and run with the cap open to purge all the air.

And now after some sweet long nights of love and awkward rubbing of the bootleg pipe here is my semi 86% finished product.

Attachment 54329

Attachment 54330

Attachment 54331

heyitsmelam 08-06-2010 01:23 PM

is that double bubble from zgoutlet?

and yes comp werkes ftw.

600F4inoober 08-06-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsmelam (Post 954536)
is that double bubble from zgoutlet?

and yes comp werkes ftw.

The double bubble is a zero gravity and I got it off craigslist. I peeled off the honda logo/stock tint sticker from the OEM windscreen and then electrical taped the bottom half as I thought it looked crappy looking down into the front wiring harness etc...The tape job is not exactly stellar and I plan to have it professionally tinted down there and the OEM honda sticker replaced. Doesnt look too bad just not perfect as I want it to be:icon_angel:

Sick97SS 08-06-2010 01:34 PM

damn boy looks good!

Would i change the coolant? Yes.

I changed my factory coolant out a few months ago. Never had any heating issues, i just wanted to. The old stuff was still bright green and looked brand new. rans the bike for a mintue to spit of the bottom few drops left. Refilled it with the 50/50 honda coolant (in the blue bottle), purged it, and been running great since.

I would only use the 50/50 HONDA coolant or water wetter. I live in MD where the winters can be harsh and i didn't want to change out my coolant each season.

TheHeggi 08-06-2010 02:08 PM

Looks good man, nice and clean. Just one minor issue...are you honestly saying you got 18rwhp from a ram air resonator delete...? I might be a noob on this subject...but it sounds like this dyno was quite generous...like by 16 or 17 hp...

600F4inoober 08-06-2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheHeggi (Post 954558)
Looks good man, nice and clean. Just one minor issue...are you honestly saying you got 18rwhp from a ram air resonator delete...? I might be a noob on this subject...but it sounds like this dyno was quite generous...like by 16 or 17 hp...

Dyno tested and track proven :icon_urinal:

TheHeggi 08-06-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober (Post 954563)
Dyno tested and track proven :icon_urinal:

I just don't know man...+18whp on a bike that only comes with mid 90rwhp is QUITE a gain and would be beyond noticeable...and only from removing an airbox resonator? I never bought into the resonator delete on cars and I just don't know if I can believe this, is there anybody else that has done it and seen a substantial gain besides noise? All I found in search on this subject was 2 of your posts. Not trying to start a pissing match, because I will gladly perform this mod if this is true, but I just don't see how it possibly could be....:icon_couchhide:

Rennen 08-06-2010 02:30 PM

i've got a competition werks fender eliminator for sale if you're interested =).

600F4inoober 08-06-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheHeggi (Post 954565)
I just don't know man...+18whp on a bike that only comes with mid 90rwhp is QUITE a gain and would be beyond noticeable...and only from removing an airbox resonator? I never bought into the resonator delete on cars and I just don't know if I can believe this, is there anybody else that has done it and seen a substantial gain besides noise? All I found in search on this subject was 2 of your posts. Not trying to start a pissing match, because I will gladly perform this mod if this is true, but I just don't see how it possibly could be....:icon_couchhide:

Uh oh e-fight!!! Guise...listen....I'm joking....sheesh...think outside the box!:icon_doh:

Rennen..email me...I will need pics ; ) baschulz@gmail.com

TheHeggi 08-06-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober (Post 954570)
Uh oh e-fight!!! Guise...listen....I'm joking....sheesh...think outside the box!:icon_doh:

Rennen..email me...I will need pics ; ) baschulz@gmail.com

LOL no e-thuggin here, I was just really about to run outside and start rippin into my airbox! That's what happens when I'm never around the forums, I don't know who's a jokester and who's just ignorant. Fortunately, you're not the latter haha.