F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Air intake question with race plastics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake question with race plastics

Hi all. I just put a set of Hotbodies race plastics on my 02 f4i and am having a hell of a time trying to get the stock air intake tubes to fit. Has anyone else had this problem when putting on race plastics and if so, what did you do to solve it? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Air intake question with race plastics

I have sharkskinz, and had some problems at first. I dont use the "Horsehoe" in track config, so I'm able to hold the top cowl with one hand, reach my other hand between the instrument cluster and the cowl, and "jiggle' the ram air intake tube until it seats itself into the cowling. On the Sharkskinz, there is a definite socket that theram air fits into fairlysnugly. Get that part right and all thecowling mounts just magically lineup. Biggest problem I had fitting lower cowl was exhaust and evap canister clearance. GL

PS if that doesnt work, DREMEL FTW!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the Horseshoe. And what does FTW mean. PM if you need to.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Lol it's not cussing. The horseshoe is what another forum sometimes calls the 2 black plastic strips that hide the lower tank border and run above the colored body work. It runs all the way up to the front of the cowling, so you cant get your hand in there where the wiring and ducting are. My bike is strictly track at present, the fact I kept the instruments, tipover and wires is probably overkill, but someday I might put her street legal again.

FTW= For the win

Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Sonomajay

I have sharkskinz, and had some problems at first. I dont use the "Horsehoe" in track config, so I'm able to hold the top cowl with one hand, reach my other hand between the instrument cluster and the cowl, and "jiggle' the ram air intake tube until it seats itself into the cowling. On the Sharkskinz, there is a definite socket that theram air fits into fairlysnugly. Get that part right and all thecowling mounts just magically lineup. Biggest problem I had fitting lower cowl was exhaust and evap canister clearance. GL

PS if that doesnt work, DREMEL FTW!!!
Thanks! I'll give that a try. As tight of a fit as these Hotbodies plastics have been so far, I'm no stranger to the dremel

Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 AM

I think i'm going to leave this horshoe thing alone cause I still don't know what part you're referring to. I was thinking of the rubber flaps next to the airbox then was like, "no" or maybe the Vee in front of the radiator "no".....

Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Horseshoe? I got that name from a stunt forum.

Part 17 and 20 in this link, Honda with great originality call it "cover, L" and "cover, R"

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m2054sch407882

Pic of my bike without them

Name:  msftrack4i017-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  47.1 KB

Head Shot!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM

I have heard from a lot of my customers that hotbodies are by far the worst fairings out of the major ones....I myself run Cheetah and they fit damn good for aftermarket...sharkskinz as well. E-Racings are superb for the price.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Oh, the sidecovers. Sonomojay, what kind of plastics are those (brand)?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 PM

Sharkskinz, kinda pricey, but good fit and lots of fiber in the fiberglass. I'm waiting on a set of Catalyst Racing Composites for my Gixxer, another respected brand, maybe I'll post a comparo.
[&:]

Quick Reply: Air intake question with race plastics