F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ahhh spill out!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ahhh spill out!!

damn cold weather!! was leaving my house going to work knowing my tires were cold i took it easy taking cornerswhen my rear tire slide out and next thing i know im face to face with the gaurd rail... luckly the bike was okay and the person behind me wasnt tail gaiting! only thing that was damaged was the clutch lever it snaped in half and part of the carbon fiber on the exhaust is a bit crunched??

Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ahhh spill out!!

How about you? Are you OK?

Old 12-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you hit sand?

Cold tires don't grip as well as hot tires, but at street speeds in your neighbourhood it would be unlikely to be because of cold tires... now if you were trying to set a hot lap of the block it would matter

Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM

I've heard of experienced riders going down on cold just a few feet from the driveway.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM

lolz yea im okay im @ work at the moment using corprate's money to surf the internet =] only gota lil gash on my knee thats about itz... no sand no nothing... i sat there lookin at my bike like wtf.... that sucks and everyone stoped and i was looking around like wtf did i slip on... so thats what i came to a conculision that my tire didnt grip right... its only like 1/2 a mile from my house and its like 30 degrees out side...i was goin to slow becausei knewmy tires were cold...

Old 12-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Some of the more experience guys can chime in but I believe you'd want to raise your tire pressure in colder weather.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM

really? hrmm...ill look into that =] im gunna bike a new back tire soon anyhow i guess till then ill mimize my riding tim =\ burn out pictures here i come 8)

Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the original poster - that sucks, hope it's an easy fix up for both you and the bike.

I've put some decent miles on various tires. Cold tires don't grip as well as hot tires, however, cold tires aren't frictionless and they certainly aren't dangerous... if they were then pulling out of the driveway we'd all do little burnouts by mistake.

I know when I pull out of the driveway my bike feels like crap - everything is tight and cold. I ride slow, just like the O.P. did.

What happens is that you go into a turn expecting the bike to grip like a charm... the only time you crash on cold tires is when you push them too hard, or hit sand/grates/tar snakes. I could of course scratch out the cold part of that sentance.

On the whole cold tires causing crashes. We've got to ride at the speed that is safe at the time... cold tires feel and respond differently than warm tires - that's true - but cold tires aren't inheriantly unsafe. You have to look at the accident and find the root cause. Don't stop at cold tires - take it up another step and ask were you going too fast for the conditions. I'm not saying blame the rider - I'm saying - review the accident, find the true lessons to be learned, and accept responsibilities as appropriate.

I come from a board that has many more newbies arriving than experienced riders. We always hear - I crashed because of cold tires, I crashed because I hit sand in a turn... I crashed and some other excuse/reason. I'm probably more sensitive/**** about that than most and I do apologize to the original poster. Again - it sucks that it happened... keep us posted. You never know, one of us might be able to source parts/help.

Woot.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 PM

OK Woot. Point well taken. Find the root cause. I had a similar experience that I don't fully understand.
Cold weather, I'd been out maybe 20 minutes felt good on the bike and did a left sweeper, bike was on rails. Got to a residential area and made a 90 deg left slow speed, the rear of the bike slipped, swung around and threw me out of the seat. I instictively (but barely) got off the power, lined up and got back on the power to avoid the highside.

I blamed it on cold pavement. There was no sand, dirt, debris that I could detect. What do you think the root cause was?
Serious.
OP: I hope my scenario will help shed some light on yours.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:57 PM

nope no sand nothing in the street and i wasnt pushing the bike or going too fast...

Quick Reply: ahhh spill out!!