F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Aftermarket Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My intentions are:

1: Performance gains, mainly in terms of weight reduction
2: looks

I have no gripes with the stock rotors but waves looks awesome and the idea of shedding some weight is nice.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM

I really like the ones with the black centers from Ebay that Z linked to, but I am a little concerend with the quality, and performance of them. Brakes are a pretty important part of a motorcycle lol, and I would never sacrifice safety over looks, but I really would like a set of them because they do look fuggin awsome.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Between the pedal cuts on the outside and the long almost disk length cut outs I see these things reducing brake power. They may reduce fade better in the long term but at the cost of low temp operation?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM

check out ebc pro-lite XC contour rotors with the S-drive system. the S-drive uses square sided buttons that allows to use less buttons compared to using the round type. I wont go into detail because you can read about them on EBC's site. all this means is weight reduction. I ordered a set of them with the polished hub for my F4i and got them on sale for $400 for the set (not including shipping). Unfortunately, I just found out one of them is on back order...

Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Wave rotors have a lot of benefits over stock:

1) Reduced weight.
2) Increased cooling.
3) Slotted rotor effect on the pads - "cuts" a layer off and makes it fresh and more grabby.

That said...

1) There isn't enough of a weight savings for you to notice on the street. 1-2 pounds means a lot on the track, but diddly squat on the street.
2) Cooling will help now and then, but rarely will you heat them up enough to matter.
3) The slotted rotor effect will help pretty much all the time, that's the best benefit for street riders.

Wave rotors look awesome and perform identically to stock for an average rider. I have them on my bike, and will get them again. Are they worth it to a lot of people? No. Good thing there's Ebay knockoffs, because Galfers are up to like $550.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Indiana
I really like the ones with the black centers from Ebay that Z linked to, but I am a little concerend with the quality, and performance of them. Brakes are a pretty important part of a motorcycle lol, and I would never sacrifice safety over looks, but I really would like a set of them because they do look fuggin awsome.
A handful of my friends have bought Ebay knockoff wave rotors, and none of them have had a single problem.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Well thats good to know, I figured they should be fine. I use aftermarket rotors at work on customers cars all the time, and rarely have an issue. I think I may get a front set, and a rear one soon.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 PM

xtremef4i, I checked out the EBC website and they had a nice video of those rotors. Cool stuff. Unfortunately I'm not too fond of the bright gold color. Thanks.

I'm still leaning towards Galfer for their looks mainly.

Aken, you said you have aftermarket but didn't mention what kind. Thanks for the info. I'm a little wary of ebay knockoffs so I'll probably be paying top dollar but I'm okay with that.

I'm 100% street right now but track is in my future so I'm getting the bike ready for that day.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 PM

i actually really like the knock offs. I wouldnt want to be the first person to try them but its good to know theywork well. and not that it matters but you can get the knock off front and then the back galfer for like 100 or 120. ? do they make the knock off wave for the back. Sorry im at work on wireless not much time to search right now.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
A handful of my friends have bought Ebay knockoff wave rotors, and none of them have had a single problem.
I suppose my question would be: Do knockoffs perform as well as genuine Galfer rotors?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Rotors