F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Are aftermarket pegs essential for track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are aftermarket pegs essential for track?

I've never dragged anything except knee. My first track outing I was a wuss and that was when I had stock suspension. I am however looking at risers or rearsets.

VIPER- I'm scared for you at those suspension settings. Stock rear preload is 3. I had my stocker set at 6, when I was 215. I'm now 205 in street clothes.
Also, having your front reb/comp fully closed means that you've got the forks hydro-locked. Let em' move a bit, it will definately help your turn-in, braking, and bump compliance; not to mention the wonders it will do for your spinal column.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll probaby play around with the settings. The fronts still move a good bit, under braking mainly. I never liked the nose dive, but I guess getting the weight forward helps flatten that front for stopping power...

I'll probably reset to stock all around a go from there.

The main reason I went to preload on the rear at 1 (I think so anyways, haven't checked) is b/c I can almost flat foot both feet when I sit on the bike. My legs are a bit short for 5'9".

What about compression and rebound at the rear? If I loosen the rear I will proably need to add preload to keep from scratching the hard stuff.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM

IIRC there's a notch for factory shock settings. The way you've conceptualized the interaction of preload and compression is good for what you're trying to accomplish as your rear is concerned. Preload is a gross adjustment and compression is fine adjustment.

As far as dive up front, I didn't get much dive with my stock forks, but then I wasn't hard on brakes then either so I can't comment much. I'd recommend you add some preload up front and possibly a bit of compression...just a little and then retest. And don't lock your arms on braking, that helps a lot.

However that dive can be used to your benefit if you're a trailbraker. Just keep in mind that you may be near your bottom end. Reducing your rear rebound will also help a bit, but IIRC you'll also get less movement just by upping that preload. Adjust your rear back to stock reb/comp and go with a 5 preload. Then change the front like I suggest above (from stock). (are you confused yet)

Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM

Nah, not lost yet.

My understanding of preload is to adjust ride height, really just adjusting where the stock movement occurs, upper part of the shock (high preload) or lower part of the shock. So if you are heavier, you compress the spring more, thus needing the "pre" load. Never use preload to adjust the performance of the suspension, is that right or how right/wrong is it? This is all assuming the springs are not progressive btw.

Sorry we are getting a bit off topic.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 PM

I'm sure someone can confirm, but IIRC the stock springs ARE progressive.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: viper

Nah, not lost yet.

My understanding of preload is to adjust ride height, really just adjusting where the stock movement occurs, upper part of the shock (high preload) or lower part of the shock. So if you are heavier, you compress the spring more, thus needing the "pre" load. Never use preload to adjust the performance of the suspension, is that right or how right/wrong is it? This is all assuming the springs are not progressive btw.

Sorry we are getting a bit off topic.
That's right.

The ideal setup for track use is setting the rear preload like this :

- The bike should sit in the spring for about 1/3 inch (1cm actually but i'm not good with incheds ) > without a rider on it!
This means if you put the bike up sraight, and lift the rear, it should come out that much, then stop.

- WITH the rider on it, the bike should sit in the spring for an inch. If this is a lot more, you need a stiffer spring, if it's less, you need a softer spring.

When the rear spring preload was set stiffer to match this, increase damping, otherwise decrease damping.

Then you need to set the bike up straight, and push the bike down by pushing on the fuel tank. The front should have the same travel as the rear now, if not, set it stiffer or softer, and adjust damping accordingly.

A very nice site for suspension setup help is this one : http://www.sportrider.com/tech/motor...ion/index.html

checkout "suggested suspension settings"

Good luck

Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 AM

A bit technical in nature, but here's a review I wrote of a good video by Dave Moss: https://cbrforum.com/m_268287/tm.htm

His website is here:
http://www.onthethrottle.com/v2/
Click Suspension>Honda>F4i