F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Aftermarket Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Air Filter

Hi all,

My 12K service is coming up and it's air filter replacement time.
Now considering the stock filter is going to set me back about AU$85, I'm looking at getting an aftermarket reusable one (like K&N/BMC or something similar).

I'm not looking for any performance gain and I don't want to have to get my bike remapped, just looking to save some cash in the long run. The bike is completely stock (although I do plan on getting one of Bootleg's pipes soon).

What say you?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket Air Filter

K&N is ur best bet. that's what i'm running

Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what's 'long run' for you. For me it probably means 3 years of riding before I replace it, so I dont really care to change out from stock.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are interested I do have an use K&N air filter that I could sell to you .Just PM me and we can negociate a price with shipping.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: halik008

Actually the vote leans towards BMC on motorcycles .K&N's on cars..Most say they k&N suck on bikes after seeing pics of all three side by side.Id run filters in this order 1) BMC 2) stock 3) k&N.

One of the site sponsors(carolina cycles) can get the BMC filters for 59.00 + shipping new.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 AM

I don't trust aftermarket air filters much. volumetrically speaking you use hundreds of thousands of gallons of air just riding around. on all my cars i've used K&N but cleaned an reoiled it every oil change. i imagine it's worse with the BMC race filter. like every 1000 miles or less. that is something i would do every track day if i was running a bike. a few people i talked to said their gas mileage went up a good bit by switching to K&N without using a map but that doesn't make sense to me because they said it shifted their power band up towards the top end. i dunno. i'm personally leaning towards BMC race just because i like to have an excuse to take my bike apart and work on it. longevity doesn't really matter so much on bikes anyways cause they end up getting replaced quickly.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 AM

K&N makes a great element. The only issue I have had with them on any bike is sealing tight against the airbox. Obviously the OE filter does a good job in this respect. A bad seal can let grit that the filter body doesnt catch enter the combustion chamber between this gap. These micro particles bead blast the combustion chamber. Not good!

BMC's seem as good as OE in this regard, but superior to OE and equal to K&Nits abilitytotrap debris and maintain superior air flow over a longer period of time.

OE paper elements clog quicker Because of less surface area and depth.As a result, this doeschange the air fuel ratio. This equates to lower performance i.e lower power and decreased fuel economy. Your bike runs richer.

I run BMC these days, at least until something better comes along.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

Actually the vote leans towards BMC on motorcycles .K&N's on cars..Most say they k&N suck on bikes after seeing pics of all three side by side.Id run filters in this order 1) BMC 2) stock 3) k&N.

One of the site sponsors(carolina cycles) can get the BMC filters for 59.00 + shipping new.

that makes absolutely no sense and is nothing but internet heresay. Both bike and car K&N filters are made the same way using the same materials. Claiming that K&N on a car cleans the air better then K&N on a bike cleaning the very same air is just silly. That's not even considering the air velocity is much greater with car engines, specially forced induction engines.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 AM

that makes absolutely no sense and is nothing but internet heresay. Both bike and car K&N filters are made the same way using the same materials. Claiming that K&N on a car cleans the air better then K&N on a bike cleaning the very same air is just silly. That's not even considering the air velocity is much greater with car engines, specially forced induction engines.
Never said the k&n car filter cleaned better.I said it was about FLOW..The K&n has shown on some bikes to cause a problem with power(lower) and to mess with the a/f .

As far as forced induction cars.I know more than most will ever know about them..Hence i have a 281cc car making over 600rwhp on pump gas..

My point was a k&n doesnt flow as well because it has LESS surface area than the stock filter and BMC filter..Less surafce area means less flow PERIOD.

Here is a picture of all three side by side in this order K&N --- stock-- bmc

Tell me which one you would want in your bike?

Name:  P1000942.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  150.1 KB

Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Good topic here because I'm in need of replacing my filter too. I've got almost 14k on my F4i and I think I want to replace it before I head down to Deals Gap. If you replace the air filter you dont HAVE to get it mapped correct? The bike just won't run at it's top potential? I was leaning towards K&N because that's the only aftermarket filter I've ever known but now I think I'll check into BMC or whatever it was.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Filter