CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   After my oil change (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/after-my-oil-change-93650/)

juno 05-16-2009 05:50 PM

After my oil change

Hey guys, I am continuing my journey with biking and running into more questions. I just did my first oil change last weekend and ive noticed ever since That the bike is much louder. The engine noise is a slightly higher pitch and generaly louder. I bought the bike used and I have no idea what kind of oil was in before, but I put in Bel-Ray semi-synthetic.

On the positive side the gears change slightly smoother as a result of the oil.

To me it dosnt make sense that its the oil but its so much of a coinecidence that I figured I would get some opinions and ideas from the crowd before taking it any further.

supersnake83 05-16-2009 08:12 PM

Just curious, what filter did you use?

You are right, it is probably not a cause-effect scenario, but it could be a correlation.

Overall, does the bike still seem fine and is it the same as before with feel?

juno 05-17-2009 12:06 AM

I used a VESRAH oil filter, I am told they are almost identical to the stock honda one.

The bike still seems fine, idle is fine. The cold idle is a bit higher or perhaps i just think its higher since its a bit louder. depending on how cold it is it normally hits about 3k for a min or two.

Could it be the CCT? I spend a lot of time in the 4-6k range as im cruising. does the CCT only rattle at a very specific point or does it effect a larger power band?

cageless 05-18-2009 11:19 AM

I'd adjust it to idle at 1500rpm once its warmed up.

My rattling sound happened at 5k but it could be different depending on the bike.

bwayers 05-18-2009 02:05 PM

your high idle for warm up should only be around 2k rpms
the cct generally is only audible between 4500 and 6k rpms

does it seem louder all the time or just at idle?

juno 05-18-2009 02:28 PM

nah idle dosnt sound much different. its through the higher revs. but it is not any specific rpm its just louder in general, as if something was loose. I checked the fairings to see if anything was loose it all looks good. The chain is at the tolerance limit for play I will have to adjust it. Other than the idle being to high when cold the bike runs great, pulls fine, starts fine. The noise issue after the oil change just makes me fearful to really give it revs, i feel im going to blow the thing up LOL.

So what should I do about the reving to 3k when cold? anything?

bwayers 05-18-2009 02:52 PM

what year and how many miles?

juno 05-18-2009 02:58 PM

15.6k miles

bwayers 05-18-2009 03:23 PM

your rattle is probably from your cct, does it sound like a bunch of rattling ball bearings?

and to drop your idle just warm up your bike then turn your idle screw (right behind your left side fairing below the frame) counterclockwise until you're around 1500 rpm

jp_greenville13 05-19-2009 01:42 AM

Not to ask the stupid question or to make you look dumb but have you checked your oil level lately?