F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Advice on highbeam HID driving, and a few other rants ; )

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone else has pretty much covered it. Dim them when in traffic. Here in IL we can have our Hi's on all the time, but just out of courtesy, it's rare when there's traffic.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkman
When someone asks you if you know you have a headlight out, act surprised."How about now?" Once you're sure there looking blast them with your high beam But seriously, anyone who refuses to dim their high beam for oncoming traffic is a douche bag and deserves every ticket he gets.Especially if they're running HID's. Come on, how hard is it to hit the dimmer switch? Am I missing something? Don't HID high beams come back on when you hit the switch again?
Dimmer switch? Not sure what your talking about. The only switch is the default low beam (which starts up at full power upon key turn) then the click up to high beam...in which the HID high beam starts off dim and will power up to full power within 20 seconds..there no such thing as "dimming" them down...it is either on or off and if off for a while, then turned on, the high beam will have to power up to full...

Agreed. With HID's, low beam is the only appropriate beam to run unless high beam is necessary..and only in light to no traffic situations if then! Prior to my post I wasent sure! Thanks everyone. Poor high beam...he's not going to be getting any love!!! Lam, now I see what you were saying when you bought the one kit for both you and your friend bc you both just used the low beams as you never get the chance to use high beam!

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 08-23-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

LOL your wondering if its normal for people to signal and yell that you have your brights on when you have your brights on. The answer is yes, brights are for alone in the backroads with little to no streetlight and no other cars. I have yet to see another vehicle with its brights on that didn't annoy the crap out of me. As for issue #2, I've had where the trans didn't want to go into 1st a couple times. Let the clutch out and pull it again along with trying 2nd and it will move for ya.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM

[quote=600F4inoober;959914]Dimmer switch? Not sure what your talking about. The only switch is the default low beam (which starts up at full power upon key turn) then the click up to high beam...in which the HID high beam starts off dim and will power up to full power within 20 seconds..there no such thing as "dimming" them down...it is either on or off and if off for a while, then turned on, the high beam will have to power up to full...

My bad. Wasn't trying to cause any confusion.Obviously we don't have dimmers like you would find hooked up to the chandelier in your dining room. I was referring to the hi/lo beam selector switch we find on the handlebar next to the handgrip.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 AM

Lets put it this way man... The F4i headlight housing is only designed for Halogen bulbs and its focused on the focal point of the filament.. Now putting a D2s HID bulb into a non HID housing makes the focal point off focus hence the reason why oncoming cars hate bikers with HID kits...

I have done HID retrofits in the past and advise you to just stick with low HID beams for now and ditch the HID high beams..

Honestly. I love HID's but not HID kits. Theres been times when im driving my car and couldn't see the road when people are walking around because of the HID's from bikers blinding me.

All seriousness, be safe riding with it for now and try to study HID retrofitting and ditch the HID kits

I have a bunch of projectors and ballasts that I might retrofit onto my F4I miss doing retrofitting a lot.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 PM

to the original post...about your throttle sticking, make sure that your grip isn't hanging up on the bar end. i know as my old set of grips was wearing out the right grip kept sliding out to the bar end and kind of sticking or at least slowing the throttle

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres been times when im driving my car and couldn't see the road when people are walking around because of the HID's from bikers blinding me.
+1. I've been blinded by idiot's half-assed HIDs at noon on a sunny day. That's just f'd up and dangerous if you ask me. Blinding oncoming traffic doesn't sound like such a good idea when you're on a bike, and I'm 100% sure that other drivers aren't impressed by it.
I'm all for good lights, but like anything.... try to do it right and don't be an *** about it.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM

i mean, you can just look away can't you? look towards the bottom right side of your path of travel?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM

You can fix that with just putting some projectors, do you have some pics at night with hi/lo beams on??

Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Lam-I assume you mean that oncoming cars can just look away right? I agree...I mean I love the low and high beam but after posting this I rarely ever use the high beam unless theres no traffic and its helpful for the situation...

The daytime running low beam (always on) is perfect..bright and sexy but not soo bright where it blinds or stuns oncomers...I mean c'mon, everywhere I go Im getting blinded by a SUV or Escalade's "stock" xeon/HID running lights whether its oncoming OR in my rearview..I don't see them adjusting their lights...Imo, people just look for an excuse to hate on bikers primarily youth/young adults...I seriously chalk it up to jealously and that their feeble minds cant multitask to handle a clutch/gear so they get frustrated at people like us...that and they dont have the ***** to step out of their climate-controlled Lincoln's to step on a bike...theyd rather just hate from inside their window where its safe

John Cu- I will post up some pics here tonight

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 08-31-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice on highbeam HID driving, and a few other rants ; )