F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Advice on highbeam HID driving, and a few other rants ; )

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on highbeam HID driving, and a few other rants ; )

Hey guise,
(disclaimer..I write fast, excuse my misspellings)

Well after installing my HID's (8000k) a few weeks back, It was conveinently nightime so I took her out for a spin to check the results. Well the result was a gorgeous ridiculously lit road wherever I turn with many many many feet of distance viewing. It literally lit up the whole road and even the oncoming road. The reflection off signs were a beoutch though. Overall I was very pleased. I did notice though that when I test rode, I didnt see very many cars due to the desert mountain road I was on and the time of night.

I'm going up to the rim (mountains in Arizona) on a fishin/camping trip today and I havent rode my baby in 3-4 days and started getting withdrawal symptoms..plus it was time to try out my new girly helmet (EXO 700 Fiore in GOld...its really not that feminine I swear!)
Ok...so last night I took her out....started with the low beams only then said eh its nightime lets do the highbeams!....Well long story short...I would say every 6/10 cars would either flash their lights at me or literally scream "brights" when passing by...I guess I am underestimating what the highbeams in this kit (DDM Tuning 35W H7 8000k) actually look like to drivers on the road...Its kinda gotten me sad bc I feel like I can never turn the highbeams on unless I am not around other cars!!!! My question is, were these people just being sensitive yuppies in their Lexus SUV's or should I really not ride with the highbeams on EVER...I mean the lowbeams only at night seem just "ok" and sufficient but joined with the highbeams it is a whole new world..I feel like every other car/escalade/range rover I drive by here in Scottsdale has HID's ior some type of crazy bright kit and no ones flashing at them? More than being a di*^ to people, which is not my intention, I really dont want to get pulled over should I have the highbeams on a cop notices...What are your thoughts??

To me, these days...every other car I pass has these damn HID's or the similar...am I just not realizing how blinding these lHID's are in our F4i reflective housings??

2nd issue-Comprised of two small questions...Sometimes, and this only happens when the bike/clutches are warmed/hot, I will come to a stop and instead of going into first the bike goes into neutral..Now trust me I smack my gears if I dont think they are engaging so down to first as well as up to 2nd I use considerable force to ensure it goes in gear but lately when its hot, it wont go down to 1st but will hit neutral...then Im sitting there BANGING (dont worry not like jumping on it) the shifter and it wont smack down!!! Eventually a hard enough smack will put it down and everyone jknows the feeling and sound it makes once it engages into first (love that feeling)

I mean Honda claimed they had "clunky" gearboxes in the early F4i's but man...mine is CLUUUNKY

other little issue-has anyone ever had their throttle stick? Like not totally stick but stick to the point where you had to hold the brake hard as it revved? It could quite possibly be my hand poosition on the throttle after a long ride and my throttle hand is damn near numb. Last night, my right hand started going numb (which usually doesnt happen bc my F4i, THANK GOD, dosent have bad vibration...the stock bar ends must be doing their job and everythign must be tight...anyway..I was downshifting (engine braking as I like to do when applicable) to a stop from 5th...and once I hit first, I noticed the bike revving so I obviously pulled the brake harder to make sure I didnt jolt...and I slowly (which is hard bc your right hand controls brake and throttle) let go of my grip on the throttle while keeoing the same pressure on the brake lever...and the revving went down...now I am not going to say theres a problem with a sticky throttle bc there isnt..this is the 2nd time this has happened to me and I could really cause an accident or even worse (<-joke) drop my bike all due to my hand position..I believe whats happening is that when I pull the brake lever my wrist turns down which bleeps the throttle..any advice on how to correct this? Maybe change my brake lever position a bit? Like I said it has only happened two times and both were when my damn hand went numb...and my brake line pressure is great, both calipers bled and fresh DOT4 so my lever has barley any play and s very stiff..to brake I only need a short pull...anyway it just scared the CHIT out of me

sorry for the ramble...but if I cant ramble to you maynges...then who can I ramble to? My fiance?? pffffffffttt

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 08-20-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

U should buy my helmet... matches ur bike

Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 AM

My high beams are way too bright to keep on when passing traffic. Ill cut the highs off then cut them back on when passing traffic at night. They shouldnt have to warm back up and should be right back to almost full intensity as well.

If you want to run both all the time, id say you need to adjust your highbeam down out of other driver's eyes.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw it..makes me more noticable for others at night..im more worried about me being seen and seeing in front of me..i get flashed all the time..i just tell myself they r just jealous bc my lights r brighter!!..i havent had any issue with LEO's so until then ill keep them on..plus i cant stand wen ppl tell me i have a headlight out!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 PM

HID brights are insanely bright and hit right into the eyes of oncoming traffic. THEREFORE BLINDING DRIVERS AS THEY ARE PASSING YOU. Not a good thing when a cager cannot see the road in front of him as he is supposed to be passing you.

Turn your brights off when car is coming at you for your own sake. It's not necessary to have them on anyways.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 08-20-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 PM

I have DDM 55 watt 8000k's and its ridiculous.....

Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 AM

I have the 35W 6000K's and I typically run them all day and night, except on a two lane twisty roads at night. After getting flashed a million times it's just not worth keeping them on..........

I remember seeing a post about someone changing the reflective housings to not shine directly into the drivers face. I'm too lazy to search for it now......

I also lowered my light housing as far as it could go when I put the HID's in. Helps a little.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maddawg777
I have the 35W 6000K's and I typically run them all day and night, except on a two lane twisty roads at night. After getting flashed a million times it's just not worth keeping them on..........

I remember seeing a post about someone changing the reflective housings to not shine directly into the drivers face. I'm too lazy to search for it now......

I also lowered my light housing as far as it could go when I put the HID's in. Helps a little.
How did you lower it? I read it is just the one screw on the upper left housing that controls up and down and the lower right screw is left to right...So you turn the upper left screw clockwise? Anybody have any experience with this and is it even worth messing with? (I read its a bit$& to get it back to stock setting if altered)

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

i would put my 2 cents in but i really dont feel like getting lectured again on wat i do so i say good luck!..

Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM

When someone asks you if you know you have a headlight out, act surprised."How about now?" Once you're sure there looking blast them with your high beam But seriously, anyone who refuses to dim their high beam for oncoming traffic is a douche bag and deserves every ticket he gets.Especially if they're running HID's. Come on, how hard is it to hit the dimmer switch? Am I missing something? Don't HID high beams come back on when you hit the switch again?

Quick Reply: Advice on highbeam HID driving, and a few other rants ; )