add horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

ok boss

I just coulndnt help myself

I sometimes forget what forums im on and just start haten off the bat

Last edited by crashking; 11-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but it doesn't seem like anything TOO productive was going to come out of it at the rate it was going.

Anyways, I'm from Clarkson University's Formula SAE team and we are running an F4i motor in our car as we have been for years. Our problem (while this motor does make for one hell of a fast car) is that according to the FSAE rule book, our intake is required to be restricted to a 20 mm opening, which does limit the power output significantly. We were toying with the idea of putting a turbo on our engine to make up for the difference here, but we don't know where to start really as far as modifications to the motor to get started (we never really played with the motor much because our philosophy has been "Honda has done a s*** ton of research and development on their engines and their is no way that we are going to be able to make anything more powerful and more reliable than they already did.")

Any advice you guys can give us? I'm guessing a turbo on a bike really isn't all that common, but I'm hoping that someone, somewhere, will know a thing or two to get us started.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

i know some guys are gonna come in here and talk this one down but regardless maybe i can help

first you guys need to look into custom fabrication a header to accept a turbo... due to weight, and the size of the f4i motor i personally wouldnt go any bigger than a eclipse evo3 turbo...

you will also need to make a turbo support because haning that much weight off the header alone isnt good.... you will probably need to go with bigger injectors as well... or you will start to run yourself lean

depending on how long you plan on running the set up and at what rpm you may want to get a oil cooler set up... ummmmm everything else is pretty straight forward... connect the exhaust side put a filter on the intake side and run ducting from the outlet side of the turbo to the intake

from this point on everything will kind of be trial and error.... hopefully not to much error or your engine will go poof....

Last edited by __Z__; 11-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Default f4i too slow

The one & only time I let someone ride my '01 f4i was when my boss asked if he could take it around the block one time. Since he had offered to let me ride his brand new Harley just a couple months earlier, (an offer I declined), I told him to go ahead, just be careful. He came back and said, "Damn, I thought this thing would be faster." I told him not to ride it like it was a Sportster, shifting at 5000 rpm. "Take it out again, shift from 1st to 2nd the same way you did this time, but then wind it up to 10,000 rpm before you shift again." I figured that would be exciting enough without getting him into too much trouble, or getting my bike totaled, lol.
When he came back that time his hands were shaking and he had a giant grin on his face. "Okay, now I get it.", he said. I was thinking to myself, " Yeah, you think you get it. Unless you saw the shift light, you still have no clue."

Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by __Z__
i know some guys are gonna come in here and talk this one down but regardless maybe i can help

first you guys need to look into custom fabrication a header to accept a turbo... due to weight, and the size of the f4i motor i personally wouldnt go any bigger than a eclipse evo3 turbo...

you will also need to make a turbo support because haning that much weight off the header alone isnt good.... you will probably need to go with bigger injectors as well... or you will start to run yourself lean

depending on how long you plan on running the set up and at what rpm you may want to get a oil cooler set up... ummmmm everything else is pretty straight forward... connect the exhaust side put a filter on the intake side and run ducting from the outlet side of the turbo to the intake

from this point on everything will kind of be trial and error.... hopefully not to much error or your engine will go poof....

I don't think that's gonna help out the OP much but that's good info for the SAE poster

Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 PM
July 2010 ROTM

for the sae guy, if u build the engine for a little lower compression you can keep some of the reliable of the f4i engine

Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Ohhhhh boyyy... Big bad MOD Kuro, flexing some MOD musclesssss!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Ohhhhh boyyy... Big bad MOD Kuro, flexing some MOD musclesssss!!!
BTW... not entirely sure your new avatar doesn't violate the TOS in terms of decency. We'll have to inspect a bigger version to be sure.

4 8x10s, a couple wallet sized and 1 poster size and we'll get back to you in a week

Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
BTW... not entirely sure your new avatar doesn't violate the TOS in terms of decency. We'll have to inspect a bigger version to be sure.

4 8x10s, a couple wallet sized and 1 poster size and we'll get back to you in a week
This is an abuse of power.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 PM

I wish I was a mod and could demand things like that

Quick Reply: add horsepower